QT tank advice sought (meds, preventative treatment, etc)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
As I'm getting closer and closer to moving my aquariums for college, I decided to start going through my fish supply cabinet and make sure I was stocked on everything. However, I've come to realize that my quarantine/hospital tank is sorely missing some things, as I've only had to use it once. Since I'm upgrading to a 58 gallon with my move, and will shortly be stocking it, requiring lots of QT time, I decided this needs to be rectified.

Here's my first question: what sort of medications should I have on hand and for what? The only big disease I've ever had to deal with is ich, and I already have aquarium salt and an extra heater on hand for it. I also have some Maracyn I used for some stubborn betta tail rot from back in the day--does it expire?

My second question is: when I'm quarantining fish, should I preventatively treat for anything? Is there medicated food I should give to account for internal parasites that might not create symptoms in the three-week quarantine time? Should I have a raised temperature/put in salt?

I will also be quarantining plants, eventually. What should I know about this? Should I just dip them to kill snails/eggs, and put them in the tank? Or should I be taking further precautions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. I do not keep meds on hand except for Freshwater aquarium salt. Meds expire and by the time you need to use it, it may already be expired. A waste of money IMO.
2. No. There is no reason to medicate a fish that is not sick.
3. The only thing I do to plants is rinse them in water and thouroughly clean the roots. Some people do use a product that kills snail eggs but I can't think of the name off the top of my head. Other than that, there is no reason to QT plants.

Re: QT tank advice sought (meds, preventative treatment, etc

HannahJ said:
Here's my first question: what sort of medications should I have on hand and for what?
i have an extensive med cab.
maracyn 1+2
ick cure
metrozole
prazipro (liquid and powder)
formalin
panacur
melafix
pimafix

the ones most important for most fishkeepers are an ick med, general bacterial, general fungal. and salt. always have aquarium salt.

HannahJ said:
My second question is: when I'm quarantining fish, should I preventatively treat for anything? Is there medicated food I should give to account for internal parasites that might not create symptoms in the three-week quarantine time? Should I have a raised temperature/put in salt?
preventatively treat? no. other than melafix for fins. within 3 weeks they should show some kind of symptoms if there is something wrong. something as small as "not coloring up" or not eating are some symptoms that would show within the third week. dont need to put in salt. dont need to raise temp unless the fish you are keeping require it. raising temp DOES help feeding as it increases the fish appetite.

HannahJ said:
I will also be quarantining plants, eventually. What should I know about this? Should I just dip them to kill snails/eggs, and put them in the tank? Or should I be taking further precautions?
min 4 week QT.

Back
Top Bottom