Quarantine inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to buy some more hermits and snails for my tank. Do I need to quarantine them the same way I do new fish?

YES--QT Everthing (that is wet)
Read the article that melosu58 posted.

If it's wet it can carry Ich or any number of other baddies for the main tank. Unless you know the tank an item is coming from, QT it.

I agree everything should be QT'd. It's not as likely an invert would carry the same parasites that would attack your fish but I would think it's not impossible for them to carry the cysts of these parasites. QT is one of the best things you can do to insure the health of your tank.

I can see why you want to QT fish and corals but inverts? What are the chances of a invert introducing ich? If you have the QT running all the time then its not a big deal but who has that, not many.. The average person will pick up a few snail or shrimp and bring them home and acclimate and toss in the tank... In the perfect world everything should be acclimated, but in reality not many do. So I still stand by may answer that inverts do not need to be QTed.
I have never QTed anything and all is well, I may be dodging the bullet with this but I won't buy anything that does not look healthy.

I'll agree that the chances of an invert bringing Ich or any other parasite/disease into the tank is low, it is not zero. All depends on the risk you're willing to take.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom