Quarantine Not Going Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNGuy85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve got 4 small goldfish, all under 3 inches in quarantine. Prior to starting the quarantine/medication process, I let the fish acclimate in the tank for a few days. It was already prevalent that there was a sickness present.

Symptoms were bottom sitting, clamped fins, some surface gasping, flashing, and darting. Among the four fish, they are displaying all or some mix of these symptoms.

So, I decided I’d start up my quarantine with a two-week salt bath. I’m a few days in, and symptoms are the same and are worsening in one of the fish. Because there were already symptoms of sickness, I pulled out the big guns and did 1 tablespoon per gallon.

It’s an empty 37 gallon tank with pristine water conditions and filtration. 0 ppm on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. PH is about 7.8. Temperature is usually around 72-74 depending on the time of day.

I have an LED light that I keep on the low blue light night setting to reduce stress.

Thoughts on what I might be facing here? I’m not seeing any physical signs of illness. I’m just seeing the behavioral ones I listed above.

It’s odd to look over and see 4 fish in a large empty tank all huddled together bottom sitting in the same corner. I’m thinking flukes, so after the salt bath period is over, I’m going to hit the tank with PraziPro.

The flashing suggests parasites as well to me - unfortunately I find it can be hard with new fish as don’t know the history.

Back
Top Bottom