Quarantine Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rowlf914

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all...

I am not new to the tropical fish hobby, but only in the past year have I gotten serious about the hobby. I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater setup, and as a serious hobbyist have decided to set up a quarantine tank. My quarantine tank is a 10 gallon with an appropriate filter system, heater, and LED lighting, and is currently in the process of cycling. My question is....in order to keep the tank cycled should I keep fish in it at all times or leave it empty? I have several snails in the tank at the moment, and will be adding a male betta tomorrow. My 29 gallon tank is completely cycled, so unless someone gets sick I don't anticipate needing to use the quarantine, but I'd like to have it properly cycled so that if I do need to use it I won't cause more problems for a sick fish. Any thoughts or advice?

Hello all...

I am not new to the tropical fish hobby, but only in the past year have I gotten serious about the hobby. I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater setup, and as a serious hobbyist have decided to set up a quarantine tank. My quarantine tank is a 10 gallon with an appropriate filter system, heater, and LED lighting, and is currently in the process of cycling. My question is....in order to keep the tank cycled should I keep fish in it at all times or leave it empty? I have several snails in the tank at the moment, and will be adding a male betta tomorrow. My 29 gallon tank is completely cycled, so unless someone gets sick I don't anticipate needing to use the quarantine, but I'd like to have it properly cycled so that if I do need to use it I won't cause more problems for a sick fish. Any thoughts or advice?

Just run an extra sponge in your 29 gallon filter then if you buy new fish or a fish gets sick just siphon some display water in to the quarantine, chuck the sponge in and plug the heater in.

For most hobbyists, there's no point in leaving a QT running. Waste of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just run an extra sponge in your 29 gallon filter then if you buy new fish or a fish gets sick just siphon some display water in to the quarantine, chuck the sponge in and plug the heater in.

For most hobbyists, there's no point in leaving a QT running. Waste of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 this is what I do, and my lfs recommends.

Agreed.

However, if you want to keep a tank continuously running and cycled, you could just add up to a few ppm of pure ammonia to it a couple times a week and do a 100% water change one a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom