Quarantining Nerite Snails and RCShrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I'm interested in having a few Nerite snails in my aquarium to feast on some greenish brown algae that is very slowly starting to form on my tank walls and 'cause snails are cool. Anyway I am thinking of setting up a quarantine tank for them as I heard they could carry disease dangerous to fish even though it may not be dangerous to the snails. First of all is this a good idea? Second do I need to establish a biological filter in the quarantine tank for the snails and will they be able to maintain the biofilter by themselves or will i need to dose the tank with small amounts of ammonia to keep the bacteria fed?
The same question goes for Red Cherry Shrimp as I am planning to add them as well. Thanks!
~J

Whether you decide to quarantine them or not do not add ammonia to 'keep the filter going'. The sudden rise in ammonia will harm livestock. Normal feeding should provide enough waste to feed the filter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom