Question About Additives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what the deal is with reef additives (stronium, iodine, calcium etc.) and if I should use them. The bottles say to add weekly, some even every four days. I don't do as many water changes as I should due to the fact I don't like using tap water. Haven't gotten a R/O -D/I unit yet, so I've been buying my water from walmart for $.73 a gal. I don't get out there enough and when I do I can only transport enough for one or two changes. But anyway I have some of the additives and have been adding them every now and then. Should I get on a regular routeen? Is what the bottles say, what I should add? I know with some like calcium and iodine you need to test your water for there levels to see what you should add. Is it like this for all of them and I just haven't seen the test kit?

I say dont use it. Reason is that marine salt mix has over 89 different salts in it that make up all the trace elements you will need. Just do PWC`s and you`ll be OK except for maybe calcium if you have a SPS tank.

Listen to what Melosu said. I highly doubt you need to dose any of those trace elements. Save your money for the RODI unit.

Thanks guys. Will never add a additive again. Wonder why they make em anyway? Are The RODI units hard to set up or use?

There was this idea about never having to a PWC if you had a DSB, lots of LR and a good skimmer. Bad idea, but if you don't do PWC's bad things build up in the tank and good things are depleted, so you need ti add them.

Also, if you don't do a large enough PWC or often enough to replenish what the corals (sps), coralline algae, and clams use you also need to replenish those minerals. So there is a market, it's just a lot smaller than the manufacturers would like you to believe <g>

Ah, ya the only reason I don't is because I have to drive pretty far to hey RO water. Can I use tap with conditioner? I've been running the water through a brita filter recently and have had no problems, but the filter is shot. What would be the most important additives to add if I do?

Back
Top Bottom