Question about air stone with live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milw217

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, this might be a silly question. I have a 55 gallon tank that is about two months old. I have recently taken out all of my fake plants and put in live ones. In total I have three Anachris, four Cabombas, two Telantheras, and two Cardinal Plants (swords?). I have approximately 30 fish including a rainbow shark, 3 clown loaches, 8 cory cats, 3 suckermouth plecos and a few other tetras. Hopefully that's enough info to answer this...Should my plants be producing enough oxygen that I can remove my airstone? Sorry the water is a little blurry but I just got done making that little cave of rocks so that stirred things up a bit. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 157
Rotated Pic

Oops, I was so happy I got a picture of one of the clown loaches I just posted it and didn't think to flip it.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 154
First of all that tank looks great!

What do you normally keep your temperature at?

IMO, I would put a long air stone in between the intake and the heater.

How much light do you have on the tank, and are you running or planning to run any CO2 and fertilize?

If not, then the airstone is probably a good idea to keep in the tank. Not only does the airstone enrich the water with O2, but it also will put Co2 in your tank, which is good for the plants.

If you ever start running CO2, then you'll want to remove it, as the agitation at that point will offgas what you're injecting.

The airstone basically just evens out what's in the tank with what's in the air.

As far as providing sufficient O2 to an aquarium, any quality filter will take care of that. An air stone will increase the surface turbulance and help keep the O2 and CO2 at an equilibrium, which is a good thing in low tech planted aquariums as Neilanh has already mentioned.

If you are using stock lighting, then some of your plants are going to have a hard time surviving let alone providing oxygen to the aquarium. It's hard to tell from you picture, but I believe that some of the plants you purchased may not be true aquatics and therefore wouldn't survive long term submerged. Closer pictures would really help out in determining whether this is the case or not.

I'd also suggest that you take a peek in the Planted Forum and take a look at the Read This First Sticky. It's got links to lots of great information about growing plants and is a great place to start when learning to take care of them.

No such thing as a stupid question Milw.

Crucial info to know would be:

Lighting (your plants may not even grow).
Fertilization (liquid or CO2?).

I think it is safe to say that unless you're using CO2, keep the airstone! Not only does it help get O2 into the tank, but it also adds more CO2 for use by your plants.

Ok, thanks for the responses. Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back on here. I keep the temperature around 75, and I don't have CO2. I do use a supplement with potassium and iron in it. I am currently running 2 watts/gal lighting which after reading the read first sticky, I'm beginning to think might not allow the red plants to grow. The Anachris grows pretty quickly actually and the cabomba has definitely grown since I got it. I'll try to get some better pics, those were off my phone. Thanks for the help, any more is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom