Question About Bacteria Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robcurry12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I recently rebooted my 36 gallon bow front and was letting it cycle this week. I started it this past Saturday and the water got crystal clear on Tuesday. But then Wednesday I woke up and the water was slightly cloudy. I did research and figured out that it's a bacterial bloom and it's something natural. It's now Saturday and it has improved minimally. I want my tank to get back to what it looked like when it was crystal clear. Is there any procedures I can take to help speed this process up or is it simply just a waiting game? I do have live plants in the tank and they seem to be doing fine.

Last edited:
I would just wait it out personally.

What exactly did you set up the tank with though, details? And how are you cycling it?

Well I set it up with 4 live plants (1 Anubias, and 3 other well established plants though I don't know the name of them). Black gravel and some rainbow rocks I got from LFS (all rinsed thoroughly before putting in tank). Ran the tank for four days before the water got semi-cloudy. I checked pH every day and ammonia levels since Tuesday (the day I bought an ammonia test kit). pH is a tad high (in the 7.4 range) but I know thats not really important. Ammonia levels have been incredibly ideal every day since Tuesday. The temperature is a little high in my opinion. It is hovering around 84-86 degrees Farenheit.

So you have 0 ammonia? Did you add any ammonia to start your cycle? Cycling is the process of building bacteria colonies that will process fish waste. If you haven't had any ammonia then you aren't cycling.

The bacterial bloom should pass, especially once you establish colonies of beneficial bacteria through cycling.

Your temperature is exceptionally high unless you're planning on keeping german blue rams and rummy nose tetras. Most fish won't tolerate above 80 for the long-term.

As of Tuesday I've had an ideal amount of ammonia. I used ammo-Carb to set up the canister filter initially so I think that might affect the ammonia reading.

And I agree. I really don't like having the temp that high. I might need a new aquarium heater. Unfortunately, it is currently a blizzard outside by me and I cannot get out to the LFS for a new one.

What is an ideal amount of ammonia? Ideal depends on the situation. A number would be much more helpful.

Regrettably, I use the Jungle Test Strips to test the ammonia (cheapest available test kit for me as I am on a budget :/) So on the tube there are no numerical values of ammonia just colors that signify if the water is ideal, safe, stressful, etc. I tested the water on Tuesday and the water was somewhere between safe and stress, and on Wednesday it was closer to the safe color. On Thursday and Friday it was between the ideal and safe colors. The test strips can measure between 0 and 6 ppm if that helps.

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and also more expensive in the long run. Trust me, I've tried them and had awful results. I would pick up a set of API liquid test kits. The API freshwater master test kit is like $25 online.

In any case, it sounds like you have ammonia in the water which would explain the bacterial bloom; ammonia often causes bacterial blooms. It'll clear as your tank cycles.

Yeah I think Petco is having a sale right now online and its only $20 for the master kit..

Thank you for all of your help! I appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom