Question about corys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossco

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I have prob a dumb question but Im fairly new to this lol. I have 2 sterbia cories. And was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more of a different type. Would the school together if I only got 1. I'm thinkin panda or peppered! Thanks !

First, cories Shoal, Shoaling is different from schoolkng in that, shoals are a loose social.group, but schools are typically tight groups that do they're.best to mimic each others movements, and look like one fish.

And yes, different types of cories will TYPICALLY shoal together,but not breed. I have bronze cories and peppered cories.and they shoal a lot in my 45 long.

Ok mint haha learn something new everyday on AA. ! Thanks dude

I don't think they are racist. I think they are kinda like tiger barbs. Meaning its basically the same species just with differences in color patterns. If I am wrong, I hope someone corrects me.

We could take a lesson from cories, they come in hundreds of colors, shapes (to an extent), and sizes, and yet they will all shoal together like. They are not racist, they understand its in their best interest to just, get along.

We could take a lesson from cories, they come in hundreds of colors, shapes (to an extent), and sizes, and yet they will all shoal together like. They are not racist, they understand its in their best interest to just, get along.

Haha but apparently they won't interbreed haha. Just thought that was funny.

Different species will NOT always swim together. They won't fight. But to see the true Corydoras behavior if you have room a larger group of one species will really show off best. I will mix 2 groups that are not closely related. Some Cories WILL interbreed, which is not a good thing, but is a different and long discussion.

1 or 2 of each species may cause them to be shy. You'll see many posts of people finally adding to their groups and seeing the behavior change to bold and curious rather than shy and seemingly unhappy.
YMMV.

Planet Catfish has a ton of excellent Cory info as well.

I love my Corydoras habrosus.

Corydoras

Hey guys I have prob a dumb question but Im fairly new to this lol. I have 2 sterbia cories. And was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more of a different type. Would the school together if I only got 1. I'm thinkin panda or peppered! Thanks !

Hello Ross...

Corydoras aren't schooling fish. If you keep several species in the same tank, they'll sometimes forage for food in a group and a mixed group will get along with one another, but won't be as close as Corys of the same species in a tank together.

I keep Orange saddles and Pandas in the same tank and they'll sometimes forage around the tank as a loose group all togethter. But, they prefer the company of their own species.

B

First, cories Shoal, Shoaling is different from schoolkng in that, shoals are a loose social.group, but schools are typically tight groups that do they're.best to mimic each others movements, and look like one fish.

And yes, different types of cories will TYPICALLY shoal together,but not breed. I have bronze cories and peppered cories.and they shoal a lot in my 45 long.

Same here. I have bronze and peppered as well. Mine all hang out in the same spot during the day, and when they come out, they usually hang out in groups of two or three. Using my bronze cories hang out it pairs (I have 4) and my peppered usually al hang out together (I have 3 of them). It's recommended to have atleast 4 cories of any species as they like to be around their own kind.

Back
Top Bottom