question about eco-complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
after a couple of months I am noticing the sand is turning into small rocks, I like to know what would happen if I were to crush these rocks to make them back into smaller ones or back into sand?

Probably fine if you want to try and crush some, but the only long term solution for your problem would be to find a finer substrate and replace the Eco, or get a good ground-cover plant growing to hide it. The finer pieces will settle to the bottom and the larger pieces will come to the top...

Eco has a property that I think they refer to self stratification. As you mix it the finer particles will settle to the bottom and the larger pieces will rise to the top.

Could this be what you are seeing?

so crushing it and maybe mixing it with fine like say tahitian moon sand is ok? plus adding a cover plant.

IF you add tahitian sand, it too will sink below the larger pieces of Eco over a short period of time. Your only option would be to replace it, or hide it, if you do not like the larger pieces of Eco. All Eco is like that.

Well, if you got a sieve and wanted to go through it, like panning for gold, you could probably remove the larger pieces. What you are experiencing is normal. The packages contain larger pieces that will settle to the top. I don't think your going to find an easy away around the problem.

If you are really put off by it, I meant you could completely remove all of the Eco and replace it with a finer-grain substrate.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom