Question about my Hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update, after about 2 weeks my grass lost its brown tint and looks healthy as can be.

Downside: my water became cloudy about 3 days after starting use of Flourish Excel. Its still cloudy but finally starting to improve in the last couple days.

Also our local petco had Royal Blue Discus mislabeled as Colbalt Discus. I couldnt not buy the last one for 22.99 vs 44.99.
I love this fish, wish I would have went with a cichlids over tropical when I started my tank. But there's always room for more tanks lol.

Our petco os have their 1$ per gallon sale in a couple weeks and im going to buy a 40 gallon breeder tank for sure.

Back on topic. Flourish Excel helped my plants significantly. Downside is im still fighting to get my water clear again

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Discus is still just a baby

Attachments

• 1395283560775.jpg
    1395283560775.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 1395283585814.jpg
    1395283585814.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 77
Ive got a feeling those discus need at least a 50gallon tank. This looks nowhere near this size. Impulse buys are not a great thing in this hobby. Hairgrass looks nice and green, not spread much yet though

Ive got a feeling those discus need at least a 50gallon tank. This looks nowhere near this size. Impulse buys are not a great thing in this hobby. Hairgrass looks nice and green, not spread much yet though

I did research. Wasnt just an impulse, I have been wanting them. They recomend a 55 for them alone *if you want them to grow to their max size, they recomend atleast 5 gallons worth of tank for them this size. I will be upgrading in the next couple of weeks to a 40gallon and I have a 90 gallon that im waiting to set up after we move into a house this fall when my girlfriend finishes school.

Also, since I used thr Flourish excel, my female sword tail fish has taken an annoying liking to my hairgrass and rips it up daily -.- I transferred her to my other tank so maybe it will start covering

That plant in the middle looks like a white ribbon (dracaena) not aquatic. Does better in conditions similar to bamboo with leaves out of water except in my experience they melt a lot faster.

You are correct, it is a dracaena. I did not know that, it come in a plant group from petco. Its labeled to be an aquatic plant and they have them fully submerged but then again they sell bambo and keep it full submerged also. I dont have any way of getting it up and out of the water so I guess ill just see how long it lasts. Same with the bamboo and its be in since early august

Getting into the planted tanks has proven to be much more difficult than I was expecting. Seems like everything I like doesnt work how I want it to work :/

I fell victim to the same thing when I first started with plants and they wouldn't even take it back now it's half dead I'm my front yard haha. I think the bamboo is a lot hardier fully submerged my dracaena'a leaves started melting and fading away within 2 weeks.

Just make sure to do research before buying anything will save a lot of time. Don't be discouraged we've all gone through it.

Do you or anyone here maybe have a website that has pictures of different aquatic plants? I want plants but I want some color in my tank other than just green

The Hair grass needs trimming, this is how you get it to thrive and become healthy.. Just like doing the lawns.. Leave the lawns uncut and they look and grow terrible..

Back
Top Bottom