Question about my new lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danchisum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light for my 50 gallon tank that is 2 feet deep. It looks great so far, but I'm curious about a couple of things:

1) How much would I improve the lighting if I bought a second one? I know the light is made for low-med plants, but would two make a huge difference?

2) How much am I going to affect the output if I have a glass cover on the tank with the lights above it?

What's your goal for this tank? If you get to moderate to high light, you'll need to balance light photoperiod, intensity, with carbon like co2 or glut, not to mention the need for a comprehensive fertilizer regimen of micro & macro ferts. Basically low tech vs. High tech planted tank.

Not sure about what the stingray pulls in PAR, but this YouTube video might be a start...

If you want to double up on lighting, I'd go with a dimmable / customizable LED unit as the second fixture. That way, you can always dial back on intensity if you start getting algae. With that said, I'd consider a Current Satellite LED+, LED+ "Pro", or Ecoxotic E-Series. They vary in price, maximum PAR output, and features.. so research will help you decide what's best for your needs.

Thanks for your reply. I forgot about those minor details :lol:

My long term goal is to have a carpeted floor with java moss and I'm slowly getting wood for some plants also. I am using glut right now, about 10 ml per day with about 10 hours of light per day. I'm not seeing any real results yet, but I'm not seeing any algae either so that's good.

I run one on a 20 l about 14" from substrate, it grows low light plants slowly and steadily..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom