Question about pH and testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbosnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi...I'm TurboSnail's girlfriend, I've got a 10 gal. freshwater aquarium. I recently bought a test kit and noticed I have two different pH tests. One is pH and the other is High Range pH. The instruction book that came with the test kit says I'm wanting a 7.0 reading. My question is do I need to do both pH tests or just the pH test that my fish require?
And how do you change the pH if it is not right?

I wouldn't worry about the pH and especially about changing it. Most freshwater fish will adapt fine to any tap pH. Only certain sensitive fish might have problems. There are two pH test solutons becasue the measure different ranges. I think one is from 5-7 and the other from 7-9. You could test with both one time to see which range it's in.

--Adeeb

You don't want to change the pH, so long as it is in a decent range. What kind of fish you have will determine if any alteration is a requirement. A pH value that is slightly off from exactly what you want is ok so long as it is stable. pH swings and crashes can result from using chemicals to find your exact perfect pH, and this is bad for fish.

As far as which kit... it depends on what your pH is testing at. The low range or regular test kit will test lower values of pH. If you have a more alkaline pH kit, you will have to use the high range kit to get an actual reading... so start with the low range test, and if the color is off the chart to the right, then the high range test is in order.

Back
Top Bottom