Question about phosphates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have heard there are 2 types of phosphates organic and inorganic. Correct me if I'm wrong but organic phosphates are the ones that most testing kits check? I have been told that you should have a bit of phosphates? Also I've heard that brown hair algae can eat the phosphates not allowing a accurate test? In my 60 gallon reef and fish aquarium I think I'm having this issue. I know my tank is fairly young being that I started the tank January 1st of this year. I have 4 fish and a few corals and roughly 70 lbs of LR and a sand bed. I have a refugium with macro algae a sump running a protein skimmer (bubble magus curve 5) media reactor running chemi pure elite and added some phos-ban. The reason I put the phos-ban in was because I was getting a pretty big brown hair algae bloom and after doing some research found that the algae is caused by high phosphates. Just to clear up some of the questions I know are coming. Yes I do use ro/di water and I do weekly 25% water changes. If anyone has any useful info on phosphates or hair algae I would like to know if what I'm doing is okay with the phos-ban.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seems like your setup and maintenance are good! What is your feeding schedule?

It was once a day with omega one small pellits. Now every other day with the pellets and once every other week with mysis shrimp mixed with some Reef solution vitamins and minerals I feed to my nem and favia usually the fish will catch some.

Okay experiment # 2 turn down lighting intensity and duration today at 5pm.

I personal am using phosgard! Does a little quicker job of removing phos! Removes silicates as well!

Yeah it definitely made a noticeable difference but after cutting down my lighting duration and intensity my hair algae has really started backing down. Guess the bad thing is I test 0 for phos in my aquarium at least the organic kind I believe. I did weigh the proper amount of phos guard for my set up.

Back
Top Bottom