Question about seeding a new filter with BB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a new tank soon. My current tank is very small and adding on the new filter to run for a while might not be feasible.

Can I just take the sponge portion out of the new filter and tuck it in my tank somewhere for a couple weeks or does that not do the job?

Thanks!

You can tuck it in the new filter if theres room. If not the best place to put it is where there would be a lot of flow.

I currently have the Cascade 300 internal filter running in my small tank. It's got a sponge and a carbon cartridge.

I know lots of people swap out their carbon. Could I put the new sponge in that slot for a while to seed, and then when I put it back in the new filter, replace that slot with something better in my current filter? Any thoughts on what that better something would be?

Hi. Your idea of replacing the carbon in your old filter with the sponge from your new filter is sound but be aware that removing any amount of filter material will reduce your BB and you might experience a mini cycle until the BB has colonised the new sponge. Not a huge problem, reduce feeding a little and increase partial water changes and test daily until you are confident the filter is back up to full steam. I would also consider dosing the old tank with Prime for a couple of days in case ammonia and nitrites rise a little, but that is probably me just being over cautious.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. Your idea of replacing the carbon in your old filter with the sponge from your new filter is sound but be aware that removing any amount of filter material will reduce your BB and you might experience a mini cycle until the BB has colonised the new sponge. Not a huge problem, reduce feeding a little and increase partial water changes and test daily until you are confident the filter is back up to full steam. I would also consider dosing the old tank with Prime for a couple of days in case ammonia and nitrites rise a little, but that is probably me just being over cautious.

That's great advice, thank you. I tend to be over cautious myself - hence all the questions.

Since the filter instructions say to swap out the carbon every month wouldn't that happen every time you clean the filter?

That's great advice, thank you. I tend to be over cautious myself - hence all the questions.

Since the filter instructions say to swap out the carbon every month wouldn't that happen every time you clean the filter?

That's true, it can lead to a mini cycle, as can replacing cartridges or any filter material. I only use ceramic tubes, plastic bio balls and two grades of foam. They can be cleaned in tank water leaving the majority of BB attached to the media surface. I do use floss as a final media which I replace at every filter clean but it only represents 5-10% of the total media and doesn't seem to cause any post cleaning problems.
I would add that by cleaning filter media I mean removing the grunge by squeezing foam in old tank water and replacing them back in the filter even though they still look dirty. Ceramic tubes and bio balls I just dip a few times to loosen the dirt.

That's true, it can lead to a mini cycle, as can replacing cartridges or any filter material. I only use ceramic tubes, plastic bio balls and two grades of foam. They can be cleaned in tank water leaving the majority of BB attached to the media surface. I do use floss as a final media which I replace at every filter clean but it only represents 5-10% of the total media and doesn't seem to cause any post cleaning problems.
I would add that by cleaning filter media I mean removing the grunge by squeezing foam in old tank water and replacing them back in the filter even though they still look dirty. Ceramic tubes and bio balls I just dip a few times to loosen the dirt.

Thank you.

I was thinking of replacing the carbon cartridge anyway. I was reading up on Purigen today.

I like the idea, but if it's 50% of the media in my filter, that might take away too much of the BB (unless the sponge, being a better home for it, actually has a larger percent.)

I'm setting up a new tank soon. My current tank is very small and adding on the new filter to run for a while might not be feasible.

Can I just take the sponge portion out of the new filter and tuck it in my tank somewhere for a couple weeks or does that not do the job?

Thanks!
100% of MY bio media is sponges!
You got clean ALL bio media eventually or it becomes an overwhelming nitrate factory.
Sponges are the easiest to clean(easier is better because it is easy{not hard})
Ditch the carbon and start to enjoy the purigen(great product).

Really, the only reason many aquarists use purigen is to clean up tannins in the water. other than that its usefulness really is limited. I wouldnt even bother with purigen unless youre using driftwood that gives off tannic acids.

Removijg the carbon might cause a mini cycle, but those rarely last more than a few days.

Really, the only reason many aquarists use purigen is to clean up tannins in the water. other than that its usefulness really is limited. I wouldnt even bother with purigen unless youre using driftwood that gives off tannic acids.

Removijg the carbon might cause a mini cycle, but those rarely last more than a few days.

Interesting. I am using driftwood but I like the look of a bit of tannin in the water. Was even considering setting up another tank as a blackwater tank.

Is there anything else you would suggest for replacing the carbon? I've seen so many people on here who say not to use the carbon cartridges.

It's amazing how much differing information (and misinformation?) there is relating to this hobby.

Replace the carbon with bio media.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mebbid is right in that a lot of fish keepers start using Purigen to remove tannins but the water clarity achieved is remarkable. Having used a large amount to remove tannins I now use a small amount in each filter to maintain clarity. I do use floss but I have found Purigen gives the water that final polish.
As for information and dis-information, Stella, you are quite wise to sift through different opinions as most of the the people posting on here are not professionals but do give well meaning advice based on their own experiences. Many opinions differ.

Back
Top Bottom