question again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomas tinaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i feel like i have been asking alot about my tiger oscar but im worried again. He is definitely my hardest fish to care for....... the question I have now is. His back fan is starting to rot off from the bottom I'm scared for his health does anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

what are your water parameters? tank size? water changes? sounds like fin rot to me a bacterial infection which is usually caused by poor water conditions

GH30. KH40. PH7. NO2. nitrite0. nitrate0. just did a water test and thats what i got. Does that help with those?. Tank size is 70. temp is 77. only been up for 3 weeks water change of 20% every week.

I cycled the tank for 5 days. Im not sure on ammonia levels my test kit does not have that. I did put ammonia safe in on day 3 of running my tank... Is it going to kill him? is my main question.

I cycled the tank for 5 days. Im not sure on ammonia levels my test kit does not have that. I did put ammonia safe in on day 3 of running my tank... Is it going to kill him? is my main question.

cycling takes a few weeks if not at least a month. your tank is still been cycled regardless of how much ammonia safe you put in there

You do not have any nitrite or nitrates, you have not been doing proper wcs and its a new tank which indicates your ammonia is likely very high. Ammonia is the reason behind his symptoms. I strongly recommend investing in a proper liquid test kit and a bottle of Prime. The API fw master test kit is suggested. Strips are inaccurate at best.

For right now, I would do a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Wait an hour or two then change another 50%. Do a third 50% wc later on. I would continue to daily, multiple wcs until you have a proper liquid test kit to measure your parameters. Once you are able to test them, your wc schedule can be adjusted based upon your numbers and his condition. You want to keep your ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm. Please read the article below as well for more information and ask any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom