Question for a Salted Guppy Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuraBoyX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before I begin my post... This question is directed only at people who believe in adding salt to a guppy tank. Respectfully, I would ask anoyone who does not agree with the notion not to reply - for the sake of keeping on topic.

After talking to three of my Local Fish Stores I have come to an understanding that I am aiming for an SG of 1.005 for the guppys. I have also done alot of reading and talked to several people about adding in Marine salt for the health of the guppys... All of the stores think it is a good idea - but only if the marine salt is a fraction of the total salt content (the rest comprised with regular aquarium salt).

So my question is this:

What is the proper ratio of Aquarium Salt vs. Marine Salt per 5 gallons when mixing new water for the tank??? I want a simple formula so when I mix new water it is the proper balance. Preferably in teaspoons.

Two more questions: Which aquarium plants will tolerate a salty environment like the one I describe above? And what other species will absolutely NOT tolerate an environment like this (in the case I need to transfer some other fish from my other tanks into this one)?

My goal is to start breeding guppies... I want an environment that will keep them the healthiest they can be.

Thanks in advance! :)

Guppies can acclimate to low salinity brackish conditions, but I don't care what the stores told you, it doesn't improve their health at all since they are freshwater fish. You want to use marine salt, and not aquarium salt. Start with 4-5 Tablespoons of marine salt and test with a hydrometer. That should get you to about 1.005 SG. Some plants that will thrive are java ferns, java moss, marimo ball, banana plant, glosso, dwarf sag, microsword, hornwort, and moneywort.

Thanks for the reply... 4-5 tablespoons per 5 gallons?

Now the guy at the LFS said it would make my tank to hard if I did all Marine salt... I initially planned to do just Marine Salt - but his argument was rational as to not do so... Which led me to my post.

What are the benefits of doing all Marine over an Aquarium Salt/Marine Mix or just straight up Aquarium Sallt?

Thanks for the input... In the aqurium world - it seems that each and every scenerio has 40 different solutions - all contraditing each other... I am just trying to find reason in a sea of information. Your help is welcome and appreciated! :)

He's wrong. Marine salt will raise pH and hardness, but guppies do fine in hard water with a high pH. Even though they are wrong about adding the salt in the first place, they are extra wrong about mixing it with aquarium salt. If I were going to do this, I'd stick with marine salt.

I agree that IF I was going to use salt I would use marine salt. But as stated, hard water is all they need. You can believe all you want, but FRESHwater fish are FRESHwater fish. Acclimating and living is different from thriving.

Adding Aquarium Salt

Good morning Aura...

I've been using a little standard aquarium salt (never table salt) in my "Livebearer" tanks for about seven years and my fish have never had a disease. I also keep several different species of Corydoras. They're supposedly senative to salt and they're thriving.

I'm a water change fanatic, so I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week. I dose a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every five gallons of my water change water.

Salt has been used for decades in fresh water tanks. City tap water sources are very low in dissolved salts compared to areas in the country that breed tropical fish. The addition of aquarium salt to your tank is an important part of keeping the new tank environment close to that where the fish were raised.

There's no doubt tropical fish will survive without salt in the tank. But, with a little, they'll thrive.

Just one old "waterkeeper's" opinion.

B

Our guppies (5 or 6 strains) and endlers became very prolific when we used natural aragonite rubble to the tanks to buffer up the hardness. Now we have a ton of fry.

IF I were to use salt for any FW fish, I would use Marine as well and would use a refractometer over a hydrometer for the sake of accuracy.

BBradbury said:
Good morning Aura...

I've been using a little standard aquarium salt (never table salt) in my "Livebearer" tanks for about seven years and my fish have never had a disease.

I have never put any salt in any of my FW tanks, I have also never had any disease or illness in 20+ years. I'm not sure what your trying to prove with that anecdote. FRESHwater fish need FRESH water.

If you are going to add salt you might as well use just UGFs, let water air out to dechlorinate, and have air powered corner filters.

Most tap water is very hard. If yours is abnormally soft then adding some crushed coral to the filter is all that is needed, not adding unnaturally high levels of salt to the tanks of FRESHwater fish.

I think your water change schedule has everything to do with your fish thriving, not the salt. People who do not salt their tanks at all but maintain water quality as you do have the exact same results.

Adding Salt to Freshwater Tanks

I have never put any salt in any of my FW tanks, I have also never had any disease or illness in 20+ years. I'm not sure what your trying to prove with that anecdote. FRESHwater fish need FRESH water.

Hello dave...

Wow! 20 + years in the hobby. Good for you. Your reply interested me. Didn't think my statement was particularly funny, but maybe it was. Thought the small bit of aquarium salt I was using was the reason for my healthy fish. If it isn't, then I must be a more accomplished "waterkeeper" than I thought.

I have to tell you when I was starting out with my "Livebearer" tanks, I researched the use of salt because I'd heard it benefitted the fishes' immune system, similar to a vitamin for people. I ran across an article from a tropical fish company in Wisconsin by the name of Aquatics Unlimited. They've done some research into the use of aquarium, Kosher and canning salt in tropical fish aquariums and use a tablespoon per five gallons of replacement water, three times the amount I use.

I know anyone could find evidence to support both sides of the salt issue. But, I'm leaning more to the use of salt and possibly large and frequent water changes as the reason for my healthy tanks, than my ability as an aquarist.

Good talking with you!

B

But, I'm leaning more to the use of salt
Nope

and possibly large and frequent water changes as the reason for my healthy tanks, than my ability as an aquarist.
This is where it's at. I have had VERY healthy fish, with the exception of some that came in sick and I couldn't do anything for them. Large, frequent PWC's, along with a good diet and proper stocking is the key.

BBradbury said:
Hello dave...

Wow! 20 + years in the hobby. Good for you. Your reply interested me. Didn't think my statement was particularly funny, but maybe it was. Thought the small bit of aquarium salt I was using was the reason for my healthy fish. If it isn't, then I must be a more accomplished "waterkeeper" than I thought.

I have to tell you when I was starting out with my "Livebearer" tanks, I researched the use of salt because I'd heard it benefitted the fishes' immune system, similar to a vitamin for people. I ran across an article from a tropical fish company in Wisconsin by the name of Aquatics Unlimited. They've done some research into the use of aquarium, Kosher and canning salt in tropical fish aquariums and use a tablespoon per five gallons of replacement water, three times the amount I use.

I know anyone could find evidence to support both sides of the salt issue. But, I'm leaning more to the use of salt and possibly large and frequent water changes as the reason for my healthy tanks, than my ability as an aquarist.

Good talking with you!

B

The only things I have ever added to a tank is water and conditioner. I believe that keeping up properly with water changes, keeping things clean, using good quality foods, and making sure the stock you buy is healthy are all that is needed. If the salt works for you, that's fair enough, it's just not something I've ever used, or felt the need for (much research was done!) . Didn't mean it to sound like I'm right and your wrong, was just another opinion.
Yea, I'm old :p

Reactions: HN1
As others have said, definitely use marine salt. I have a male guppy in my (lightly) brackish tank and he seems to do doing very well. As for plants that tolerate salt you have a lot of options. Wisteria, bacopa, blyxa, aponogetons, and of course java ferns are all good choices that i've had luck with. I actually grow all of my wisteria in that tank, it really seems to encourage quick growth. Good luck breeding !

I want a simple formula so when I mix new water it is the proper balance. Preferably in teaspoons.

0tsp/5g

I know you said avoid posting if you don't agree with the salt thing, but I think it's kinda like saying "I need a sensible way to do something that makes no sense." -IMO-

BBradbury said:
Didn't think my statement was particularly funny, but maybe it was.

Just FYI, "Anecdote" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being funny.

If you are going to add salt you might as well use just UGFs,
Lots of people still do, it's just not your preference. I don't prefer them either, but as a reverse flow system they seem to do just fine. I know of many experienced aquarists that use RUGFs.
let water air out to dechlorinate,
This works just fine if your water supply uses Chlorine instead of Chloramine.
and have air powered corner filters.
Lots of very experienced hobbyists use air driven corner filters, sponge filters, etc. Are you really trying to say that some of the top breeders in the country don't know what they're doing?

Most tap water is very hard. If yours is abnormally soft then adding some crushed coral to the filter is all that is needed, not adding unnaturally high levels of salt to the tanks of FRESHwater fish.

I think your water change schedule has everything to do with your fish thriving, not the salt. People who do not salt their tanks at all but maintain water quality as you do have the exact same results.

Comments in red.
I do agree that water changes go a long way toward fish health. We don't salt anything except saltwater tanks, unless treating for ich.

Back
Top Bottom