Question for the Purigen users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tired for the first time to "recharge" my Purigen by soaking it in 1:1 water/bleach solution for 24-hours and then rinsed it and soaked it in water/Amquel+ for 8-hours then rinsed it again. After letting it dry, it has a funny smell to it. Not like chlorine or bleach but just funny. Maybe it is the Amquel+, I dont know. Typically, does it smell like nothing after it is recharged properly? I am scared to put it back into my reem tank's wet/dry. Plus the beads did not come out completely white. Thanks.

I've been using Purigen and recharging them for close to a year now. A few comments, although I can't really say anything for sure about your situation because I don't use Amquel...

There is a "caution" on the Purigen instructions that says "... some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen and render regeneration difficult." Not sure what all is in the "plus" part of the Amquel. On the Seachem Purigen FAQs...

(Purigen FAQ)

... they specifically say that "amine-based" slime coat products will cause Purigen to become toxic. Soo... best to find out what exactly is in the Amquel. That statement is pretty much why I've always used Seachem dechlorinators like ChlorGuard or Prime.

After I regenerate mine using Prime, there is a funny sulfur smell... but that's the smell of the Prime. Right after regeneration, it's always pure white, but as it dries out some beads will turn somewhat tan. I read somewhere that this is normal when the beads dry out. I think I also remember hearing suggestions that it should be somewhat damp. Some folks leave their recharged bags soaking in RO/DI water. I just kind of shake out most the water and then seal them up in ziplocs.

That is exactly what happened to mine. They were very white at first but then some of them turned a little tan after they dried. And the smell is like a funny sulfur smell. I think I am going to throw this one away, even though i bet it is perfectly fine. I will get some Prime for the next time around and do the ziplock bag thing. Better safe than sorry.

Good news!...

I just found this on the Amquel website at Kordon LLC - Kordon - AmQuel+ ...

"AmQuel+ is completely amine-free"

I'm guessing it's the same chemistry as the Seachem product if it smells like sulfur. That's the same smell I get with using Prime.

Found this additional blurb on Amquel's site...

Kordon LLC - Kordon - Articles - Amines

If I'm reading that correctly, it sounds like using Purigen with tap water that has chloramine in it is a huge no-no, because the chloramine will bind with the Purigen. While I've always used pure water to recharge, it's probably a good thing to only use RO/DI water in the recharging process also.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding out that info Kurt.
As far as why it was permitted to dry.
1. I didn't need it again yet, I was going to reuse it later.
2. It doesn't say in the recharging instructions to keep it wet
3. I figured if it dried that would be a sure way to make sure the bleach was all gone
4. If I remember corectly it came in its little pouch dry. Unlike chemi-pure which comes damp.

Agreed, some folks will have "stand-by" purigen, to switch out and recharge without having to wait for it to recharge.

Back
Top Bottom