Question for those of you who have hanging power filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20Gal has an Aqueon hanging power filter, stock with the package. It uses large replacement cartridges with the carbon already in it.

When do you guys change the filter and how often? I usually change mine in between water changes to minimize the loss of the beneficial bacteria. I dont know that this is really an issue but i do it anyway. Also , how often do you change them. I seen that the carbon in them is only active for a week or so , but i only change mine every six weeks or so.

Just looking for some opinions. Always nice to know if the way i do things is common or should be different.

I change my filters when the water stops flowing through them. All my filters are dual cartridge and its about 1 side every 3 months or so. I dont use Carbon atall and have never had any problems with the quality of my water. Im OCD with PWC though.

are you able to poen the replacement cartridges up? if you really want to run carbon in your tank the best idea would be to buy a big bag cheap and just replace the carbon. my hobs though i use aquaclear which has more options i just run sponges and clean them every couple weeks.

are you able to poen the replacement cartridges up? if you really want to run carbon in your tank the best idea would be to buy a big bag cheap and just replace the carbon. my hobs though i use aquaclear which has more options i just run sponges and clean them every couple weeks.

You run a sponge in a hanging power filter?

aquaclear hob's are like a hang on canister. they dont use those junky cartridges like most hob's do, they use sponges and ceramic bio media

I do weekly 25% changes and bi-weekly filter changes for my HOB. Dont really know about the canister or ceramic medias like most of the pros on here do but mine has been truckin along just fine for over a year.

Back
Top Bottom