Question on Bio foam and filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleigh726

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 5g marineland aquarium kit that came with a bio-foam and a filter with carbon filter cartridge. The instructions say to change the filter once a month. I have read the articles on fish-in cycling and am doing that with 1 male betta. I have the test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and feel that I am understanding the concept of nitrogen for the cycling. My question: I know that filter will have good bacteria on it, so doing a change each month seems to be counterproductive to the cycling. Is the bio foam there for the purpose of keeping the good bacteria? If so, do I rinse the bio foam (I'm assuming in old tank water) periodically and do the monthly filter change?

The suggested monthly filter change is there to keep the pockets of aquarium companies full under the guise of keeping the carbon fresh which is totally unnecessary in an aquarium.

Just skip changing out the cartridge and instead clean it in old tank water. When it starts falling apart then it's a good time to replace it which should be about once every 6 - 10 months or so.

The suggested monthly filter change is there to keep the pockets of aquarium companies full under the guise of keeping the carbon fresh which is totally unnecessary in an aquarium.

Just skip changing out the cartridge and instead clean it in old tank water. When it starts falling apart then it's a good time to replace it which should be about once every 6 - 10 months or so.

+1000 I'm running the same pads now as I was 6 months ago. It's just a scam by companies to change them regularly.

Caleb

Filter cartridges are a bad idea, you throw away all the bacterial that you've worked hard to establish. Reusable filter media, like foam, ceramic tubes etc., that just need a rinse in a bucket of tank water will retain the bacteria. Never wash them under the tap. As for carbon, it really is not needed for regular use. Some people use it to rid the water of medication after treatment but water changes do the same job. The only media I discard every water change is the thin layer of floss, the final filtration media, which can clog and is very cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Filter cartridges are a bad idea, you throw away all the bacterial that you've worked hard to establish. Reusable filter media, like foam, ceramic tubes etc., that just need a rinse in a bucket of tank water will retain the bacteria. Never wash them under the tap. As for carbon, it really is not needed for regular use. Some people use it to rid the water of medication after treatment but water changes do the same job. The only media I discard every water change is the thin layer of floss, the final filtration media, which can clog and is very cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 I wouldn't say the cartridges are useless per se, but they shouldn't be replaced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom