Question on floating breeding hatchery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessika

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all :) so my platty is looking like she is ready to have her babies so I have her in a marina floating 2 in 1 fish hatchery. I just put her in this evening and I am wondering how long I can leave her in the box and has anyone used this box before? I am worried the fry will swim out of the box through the slots on the side.

The fry shouldn't get through the side. Not sure about how long to leave her init is there much space

The trap is big enough to have 2 fish in with a divider between them but I only have one in it. I was thinking I would let her go during the day and then put her back in at night? Or would that be to stressful?

It would be a lot of stress for the fish leave her init til she has them

My Molly is getting really square now hopefully in the next couple of days will have fry

Nice! One of my other platys had fry the other day. I managed to save 3 but I'm sure there are a bunch hiding in the tank. This is not first batch of fry doni am excited to see them grow :)

I have a very similar breeder, and yes, unfortunately sometimes the fry can fit through those grates.

I figured so. Bad design. I was thinking I would wrap a piece of nylon around it to keep them from escaping and see if it works

That should do it, as long as the sides still have some slotted ventilation up higher. Also, if it's the breeder with a separator, be careful with it. My guppies found a way to get to each other's sides.

Ill keep that In mind if I ever have to have 2 in there at the same time!

I've used the breeder with my guppies.. Unfortunately a couple of times my guppy has actually jumped back into the main tank

I hope she doesn't figure figure out how to do that! She doesn't seem to mind it too much. I do feel bad keeping her in there though. I hope the babies come soon

If u float some plants in there she won't be as stressed but I would still leave her in the box

I have a few in there for her already she seems much happier with something to hide behind. Yes I am going to Leave her unless she starts to look unhealthy

you could also use something similar to this. its a separation container that hangs over the edge of the tank .sealed unit so you need 2 times daily water changes and air stone. I use it mostly for cory fry since with a normal breeders pin there are always slots that would allow the eggs to float out. or you could save up for a different pin one where the slots are small and are narrowed out so they cant squeeze through.

Back
Top Bottom