Question on Q/T'ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halthe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am curious...

If you have a Q/T tank for emergencies, what do you do to get it ready for the sick fish? PWC out your regular tank and dump all the water into the Q/T tank? Will it have cycling issues?

i run an extra filter on all of my tanks. works in my favor in more than one way. if i need a qt for a sick fish, i just pull the filter, set up the tank, its done. If im planning on buying new fish, ill set up the tank a couple days in advance so that its ready when i get home. Transferring water does nothing but transfer dirty water. the filter/media, decor, substrate houses the bacteria needed to "cycle" a tank. Also, a qt should be utilized for new additions as well, not just for emergencies

so if you transfer a filter some substrate the Q/T Tank should be ok to house the sick fish?

Just to clarify... I don't have any sick fish, I just want to know the answers ahead of time in case it comes up!

you dont want to transfer substrate. a qt should be a bare bottom tank with no decor, just pvc if necessary to provide hiding spots for the fish

what i did was get a cheap hob (hang on back) filter from wally world and i run it as mfd said in my main tank. When i want to get new guys or some get sick i just pull it off the main tank and put it on the 10 gal. quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom