Question regarding possible planted beta cube)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
At work in my cubicle I have two sets of of 14w bulbs hanging under my bulk head of my cubicle.

I have a little beta cube under the light and was wondering if you think the light would be enough to grow a real plant in the tank

I was thinking just a simple cruved bamboo in the middle.

But I dont know if the lights to high / strong enough for it to grow

Also I have never down small tanks like this before

Do you need filtration? or will simple water changes do?

pictures included.

Attachments

• IMG00071.jpg
    IMG00071.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00072.jpg
    IMG00072.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 81
You can have some lucky bamboo in the water (but have the leaves above water). Lucky bamboo won't need much light & will suck out some nitrates. you might be able to do some really low light plants like Java ferns .... but being that the light is not directly over the tank, only a fraction of the 28W will get to the tank. It is prob. too little to do real aquatic plants. (Or house plants for that matter.)

Although a betta can live without a filter, it is generally better to have one. They also do better in a setup that is larger than a betta cube (I say 3-4 gal min). And a heater is a good thing to have as well.

Decided to give it a try anyways...

For the cost of <$3.00 I added a wisteria to the tank.

Will see how it grows. + I can learn from my mistakes (how I usually learn lol)

already thinking its to big had pull out 3 stems and put them in a cup.

Attachments

• IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 86
It is cheap, so no big loss to experiment with. Although Wisteria is actually a medium light plant so might not do too well. If it dies, there are other plants with lower light requirement to try.

that was my thought.

I added a background and I can say that the beta seems much happier with the planet in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG00077.jpg
    IMG00077.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom