Questions about cleaning equipment for tank use.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a stupid question and I may just be over-cautious, but I have a question about cleaning equipment that has been used for another purpose prior to being used for your tank. Specifically, I was recently given a plastic bucket that used to hold human food (pickles to be exact:)). I seem to remember something about plastic retaining some of the chemicals that it held no matter how much you clean it. Is that true? Also, what is the best way to clean it so that it can be used for tank purposes? My intention is to use this bucket for acclimation and fish storage when needed (major cleaning of a tank). Right now I've let the bucket soak overnight with hot water and bleach. I've since drained that and refilled the bucket with hot water and ammonia. Ironically, I think I could still smell the pickles after the bleach soak. Am I wasting my time? Is this bucket a lost cause?

Also, what type of soap is acceptable to use when cleaning any tank parts/equipment? I realize that whatever is used rinsing is key. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything if I used laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid.

Like I said, this may be a foolish question, but your input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

"NEVER" use any soap or detergent of any kind... can and will present problems at some point no matter how much you rinse. Also, the bucket is probably ok but you realize that a brand new bucket at the hardware store is only about 2-3 $$ so just be safe and get yourself a new one. Save the other one for making more pickles...good luck!

Thanks for the info. I guess I am being a little cheap when it compares to how much money I spend on other things for the tank. But, in my defense, $3 could buy me another fish ;)!!

Not trying to sound like a [moderator edit] but a soapy bucket could kill "all" your 3 dollar fish...do the math...keep all detergent a safe distance from anything and everything around your tanks...good luck!!

try not using the soap, lol...that'll save ya a penny or two. look, all i'm saying is why spend ur hard earned money on costly tanks, fish, and equipment and then have some catastrophe because you wanted to clean a 3$ bucket?? i would be almost sure that if someone found you a "how to clean a pickle bucket link" , you'd probably be safe but i guess i care more than 3 bucks about my fish but that's "MY" opinion...my malawis wouldn't like getting the pickle anymore than i would!!!!! lmao and i wish you the best of luck!!!

try not using the soap, lol...that'll save ya a penny or two. look, all i'm saying is why spend ur hard earned money on costly tanks, fish, and equipment and then have some catastrophe because you wanted to clean a 3$ bucket?? i would be almost sure that if someone found you a "how to clean a pickle bucket link" , you'd probably be safe but i guess i care more than 3 bucks about my fish but that's "MY" opinion...my malawis wouldn't like getting the pickle anymore than i would!!!!! lmao and i wish you the best of luck!!!

You know you're right. I do care more about my fish than $3. That's why I started the thread. I'm looking for all the info I can to make me a better aquarist. If the answer was that it's impossible to use the bucket then I would have made the trip to my hardware store to buy a clean bucket. It was actually more important for me to have the info than to save $3.

and i'm not calling anyone cheap...i live for more information to make me better at whatever i'm doing and who doesn't love free? so hope you didn't take it wrong...sometimes whats funny in my head doesn't read as funny later on...but my malawis getting the pickle was pretty funny!!

and i'm not calling anyone cheap...i live for more information to make me better at whatever i'm doing and who doesn't love free? so hope you didn't take it wrong...sometimes whats funny in my head doesn't read as funny later on...but my malawis getting the pickle was pretty funny!!

No problem. I actually called myself cheap:). I know it's easy for people to be misunderstood when communicating on a forum. I didn't take any offense. I hope I didn't offend you.

not at all but i guess that a certain someone that likes to act like my kindergartner was offended and ran and told mommy on me, lol (received pm from moderator that said i was "circumventing" the "swear filter")..wish some people would grow up...good luck and hope to see ya around!!

Back
Top Bottom