questions about pearl gourami compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning to add one or two pearl gourami in my 90g eartheater tank. Currently, there are 6 geophagus orange head tapajos, 20 lemon tetra, 2 bristlenose pleco. I will also add some cories later.

1. I have read that pearl gourami needs plant for cover. Is it possible to use a large amount of driftwood instead, if I am not planning to breed them? My geos destroy any plant I have in my tank. Below is my tank.
DSC_0121_zpsc761e27d.jpg

2. I heard pearl gourami are rather peaceful fish. Can they get along with my other fish?

3. What is the ideal number of pearl gourami? I found opposite opinion on the web. Some say they could be kept in a group of 4-5, while other say there are vigorous conspecific aggression.

4. If pearl gourami is a no go, can you guys recommend other fish which can occupy the upper part of the tank? I don't want another schooling fish like tetra and hatchetfish.

A male and female would be fine IMO.
Even a trio(2 females).
Try floating plants as the gourami will spend time near surface mostly if comfortable.

Like your tank! Gourami are my favorite fish, I have honey and pearls in different tanks. I have 5 pears in my 55 gallon, one male and 4 females. They all get along and hang together a lot. With your stocking I think they would be fine. They can be shy and don't do well with fast moving fish, they will be intimidated and hide. I had 8 Congo tetras in with them and I rehomed them. Since then the pearls are out and about all the time and show their natural behavior. . I was a little concerned about your tapajos ( beautiful fish), but with the size of your tank, probably ok. I might suggest more plant cover for them in your tank and mine like the Petsmart hollow log to go to now and then, or some kind of cave. My honeys hang out in floating plants but the pearls don't. They do like someplace to be able to get away now and then, like the log. That's a nice piece of driftwood too. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Thank you guys.
I have also considered Honey Gourami. I think they are of the same aggression level of the Pearls, so I will properly choose from the two of them. The problem is, I don't know if I can find some females in my LFS, especially when the females are less colorful.

Btw, when you say floating plant, do you mean something like frogbit? I don't want to have those fast growing plant which will cover your tank in weeks. I have heard terrible stories about how they throw away a bag of frogbit every week or two, so I am thinking about water sprite.

Stem plants (simple ones;hornwort,anacharis,) do fine floating and the gouramis love them.
Since gouramis breath from the surface it is important they are comfortable at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom