Questions about placement of corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm a bit confused about this subject. I have noticed looking at many pictures of tanks here on this site that some people have different corals placed right on top of or very close to another type of coral.

For instance, I saw a picture that had a colony of zoo's and what looked to be several very large shrooms right on top of the zoo's?? I know you can place shrooms with shrooms, zoo's with zoo's, trumpet with trumpet and so on. But where do you find the information that tells you different placement? Or do you just place it and hope that nothing starts a world war in your tank.

In my tank right now I have everything well divided and it looks pretty good IMO, but if I know that I can place different types of corals within proximity or even touching others without ill effect it will clear up a big space in my tank and allow for more corals :twisted: :lol: !!!

I also understand the basics like anything with sweeper tentacles or even feeding tentacles shouldn't be placed near corals such as shrooms and zoo's and that GSP and Xenia can slowly take over just about anything in the tank, BUT where do you draw the line!

Thanks,
Jermz

Great question, I am going to tag along fo the ride on this thread as I am just now looking at getting into corals in the near future.

Jermz79 said:
In my tank right now I have everything well divided and it looks pretty good IMO
Which is really the way you should keep it. :wink:

but if I know that I can place different types of corals within proximity or even touching others without ill effect it will clear up a big space in my tank and allow for more corals
Only place like species within the vacinity of each other. Placement as you posted above (shrooms with zoo's and such) is often very unwise. Allelopathy from competing species can and will affect much of the life in your tank. Even if two neighbouring corals co exist, it does not mean their possible chemical war on each other will not/does not affect the health of coral around the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom