Questions about pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enygma_0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All,

I have a question about settings pods to grown in my tank. I am not sure how to get these started in my tank, is there a starter kit etc.. that one could buy to seed their tank? I really wanna get a mandarine eventually but want to ensure that I can have something for it to eat first and would this be doable in a 29g tank?

I don't think a 29g will ever be able to sustain a Mandarin but see what other folks say. You can get starter kits from ipfs.com and others, but good LR should get you enough to get started. A refugium would give you your best chance at keeping a Mandarin.

i had a mandarin in a 36 it had been established for a year, and the mandrain accepted flake and other foods he lived for only about 2 years. there tuff little dudes that need tons of attention. i wouldn't recomend them unless u have a large tsnk or plan to care for them like you would a dog, or small child.

Have you considered doing a plankton drag at a beach or in an estuary? You could use a 153 micron net (pantyhose would probably work too) and concentrate the sample down into a small 125 mL sample bottle. For pods, I would think that no less than a 100 meter net drag would be required to obtain sufficient numbers for what you are wanting. It will also depend on where you do the net drags.

Hmmm....man they are cool little suckers, just don't know if I have the time to spend on that type of fish. I may wait until I upgrade my tank and go bigger. I also had heard they typically need 90+ lbs of LR? I am not sure if that was just because of the pod issues or not, but "I don't know I heard that somewhere"....lol

I just tried the ipfs.com and it is some kind of health net website. Could you please update the exact address because I would like to get some too.

diverdown69 said:
Have you considered doing a plankton drag at a beach or in an estuary? You could use a 153 micron net (pantyhose would probably work too) and concentrate the sample down into a small 125 mL sample bottle. For pods, I would think that no less than a 100 meter net drag would be required to obtain sufficient numbers for what you are wanting. It will also depend on where you do the net drags.

Couldn't this introduce disease to the tank?

i only have 6 lbs of lr in my 30 gal and now 4 months later i have a ton of pods...they are all over the sand and all over my base rock and glass

Back
Top Bottom