Questions about rebuilding my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck00

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am new here and just wanted to bounce some ideas off of the pros. I have had a 60 gallon tank for a little over 4 years, that is 48”x 12” and 24” tall. Until this morning it had a Marineland Penguin 350 filter, plastic plants, and a few bubble features. I just had generic blue gravel and a few living rocks in the bottom. For fish I had a 1 7 year old 15 cent feeder fish, 1 5 year old goldfish my daughters won at a street fair, 8 mollys, and 4 Gourami. I had an ICH outbreak that I have never seen before that wiped out all but 1 gourami and the street fair fish. I assumed the old one got sick and died of old age, and took the rest of them with her before I saw white spots on the Gourami.

I have put the 2 live ones in my quarantine tank, and emptied my 60g tank.

I consider my self a rookie who has spent a lot of time on youtube and reading about what to do with my tank. My wife says I am on a pretty tight budget.

Here is what my current plan is.

Items
Polar Aurora 265 GPH external aquarium filter with builtin pump kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIQXYU6/ref=emc_b_5_t

I would like 2 of these 18~24” lights - Hygger 24/7 LED lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N4591Q7?pf_rd_r=4HAD93KZ4SWSXAHZP8EE&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

I want to have 2 air stones

A few living stones.

I need help with what to put in the bottom of the tank for gravel or substrate.

I live in San Diego so it's pretty warm here, so I dont know if i need a heater or not. My tank currently runs from 70F to 78F.

Fish
I was just thinking 5 or 6 Corydoras Catfish and then maybe 20 or so Mollys and Gourami

Plants
I have never tried live plants, but I want 2 give it a shot.
Java Moss
Amazon Swords
Aponogeton Ulvaceus

None of this is set in stone.

Thanks a Lot
Tuck

Not sure why you are tearing down the tank, even for Ick. Ick is one of the easier diseases to cure IF you follow the correct instructions on how to handle it here. If it was Ick as it could be Epistylis...

As far as your tank equipment goes, if you are only going to have one filter I would go for the bigger Polar Aurora filter for only $15 more. If you are still going to use the Marineland 350, the smaller canister will be fine. I do suggest using both filters.

Plants and fish, others will be able to help better I'm sure.

EDIT: Keep your old media wet and DON'T wash it out as you will need it to hold your bacteria cycle in the tank when filled with new water. Add your de chlorinator too!

Back
Top Bottom