Questions on the Origin of Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
No, not the origin of where it came from millions of years ago. But the origins within a tank.

I mean, does the algae live in the water column just waiting for the right conditions to grow (similar to diseases)?

Algae is a form of plant right? But it doesn't seem to follow the rules like regular plants do. For example, I'm not going to get an Amazon Sword growing in my tank if the conditions are just right for it to grow unless I actually introduce the sword plant into the tank.

With algae though, if the conditions are right, it will grow like crazy without ever being officially introduced into the tank.

I was just daydreaming at work and thought of this...:D

I've heard the same question asked about bacteria in here and didn't find a concise answer given.

Is this the chicken/egg debate on a microscopic level? lol

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Well, algae aren't exactly plants. They are unicellular eukaryotes, yet they can clump together and appear multicellular (you can also get into the Volvox line in this which actually has cell specialization, but that's another story). Despite this, however, land plants are thought to have very close ancestors to such green algal groups as the Chlorophyta and Charophyta...they have similar cellulose structures in their cell walls, similar pigments, and so on. Then you have your brown algae and stuff like that.

When it comes to the "where did it come from talk", it gets a little complex I guess. Some guy actually brought this up in my biology lecture (not about aquariums, but just in general). My professor then brought up again the alternation of generations that these green algae show. You have your sporophyte generation, right? These produce haploid spores, which are microscopic. Same thing with fungi. You know how fungus just appears out of nowhere? Well, their spores are everywhere.

While I am unsure if I am correct, the only thing I can really think of is that the spores of various kinds of algae are dispersed either by being attached to your plants, or from your water source. Conditions in your aquarium can provide an excellent environment for these spores to germinate, develop into a gametophyte, and eventually reproduce like mad (through sexual or asexual means).

Don't take what I'm saying as entirely accurate, as I don't really know the answer. That's the way I look at it, though.

Well, algae aren't exactly plants. They are unicellular eukaryotes, yet they can clump together and appear multicellular (you can also get into the Volvox line in this which actually has cell specialization, but that's another story). Despite this, however, land plants are thought to have very close ancestors to such green algal groups as the Chlorophyta and Charophyta...they have similar cellulose structures in their cell walls, similar pigments, and so on. Then you have your brown algae and stuff like that.

When it comes to the "where did it come from talk", it gets a little complex I guess. Some guy actually brought this up in my biology lecture (not about aquariums, but just in general). My professor then brought up again the alternation of generations that these green algae show. You have your sporophyte generation, right? These produce haploid spores, which are microscopic. Same thing with fungi. You know how fungus just appears out of nowhere? Well, their spores are everywhere.

While I am unsure if I am correct, the only thing I can really think of is that the spores of various kinds of algae are dispersed either by being attached to your plants, or from your water source. Conditions in your aquarium can provide an excellent environment for these spores to germinate, develop into a gametophyte, and eventually reproduce like mad (through sexual or asexual means).

Don't take what I'm saying as entirely accurate, as I don't really know the answer. That's the way I look at it, though.

Good information whether entirely accurate or not. It was just a question born out of boredom and my simplest guess was that the algae is always present and doesn't really begin to "grow" until the correct conditions are met.

Back
Top Bottom