questions on uniquariums, and super deep aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

destahays

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my dream aquarium last week. It's a clear for life 75 gallon hexagon uniquarium. I've never had a uniquarium before...and it's leading to a few different questions as to how people do things.
First thing, when I feed my fish, the floating food goes right thru the slits into the back/filtration part of the tank which I don't want for obvious reasons. I unplugged the powerhead tonite, when I fed them so half the food didn't end up right in the filter but would prefer to not do that so hoping someone has a different way they do it.
My second question is also about the slits the water goes through into the back of the tank. Is there any issue with fish or snails slipping through there and ending up in the filtration area? Not sure if I should fix some netting or something over the slits to prevent that. Sorry I don't know the proper terminology...I've had tanks for almost 30 years including high tech planted co2 tanks and breeding tanks but this is totally different then anything I've ever had!
Lastly, this questions has nothing to do with it being a uniquarium, but about the depth of the tank. It's 30" deep so wondering what the best tool is for a grabber to move plants and decorations around. I have a plant tongs that honestly is horrible, so hoping to get some suggestions of one that will actually work.
If you are experienced with uniquariums and just happen to have some random advice for me, feel free to give it!

I haven't had a uniquarium but I have several with overflows which is apparently what you have - slots on top through which the water overflows. Yes, food can get sucked through there. I just used sinking food or wet food to help it sink. You can also get floating rings in which to put food so that it doesn't enter the overflow.
Yes, small fish and snails can go into the overflow. I don't recommend screening it as it throws off the balance of inflow and outflow and it can get clogged. In that case the entire tank will overflow.
It's a pretty efficient system and there is no need it shut it off to feed or screen it off. But Neon Tetras and smaller fish are in danger of getting sucked in.

Yeah, it's 2 1/2 feet deep. I love it, other then figuring out new ways to reach the bottom, plus the overflow deal which is just new to me.
The overflow has already caught a few baby bushynose plecos I didn't know existed (lol), so my first emptying of the filter area and taking the pump out will happen tomorrow, and those darn small fish are going into my other tank til they get bigger!
Thanks for the idea of the feeding ring- I had seen them before but never knew why I'd want one so never thought of it, thank you!!!!!

Yes, the depth is nice but hard to reach tank bottom without falling in :) My largest tank is same depth. Also had tried plant tongs, etc but nothing that I really liked. Be interested what’s out there.

I tend to drain at least a third of the water and just use my fingers. The back middle of tank is a bit tricky. I’ve had gravel substrates up to 4 inches thick and find once I get the plant in, I can scoop gravel from somewhere else to drop around plant to hold it until it takes root. I also buy good sized plants.

Back
Top Bottom