Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris_topher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So much good reading here!

Ok so I have some questions.. this could get lengthly but i'll try and keep it short-er

I have a 5g planted with betta, aquaclear 20 on low flow, 50w heater (for a ten gallon) it stays about 26-27C, and a 9w light.

Seems to be doing well but just recent the new growth on my amazon sword is all brown and spotted and die before 1 inch, the rest of the plants are fine.

Everything else seems fine and has been from the start, should I have bought a test kit that tests for everything important already?

I've heard the water in Victoria is very good out of the tap from many fish store people now. Its fairly soft and not much chlorine. Should I let it sit out 24 hours before water change and put water conditioner in, or can I put it right in at the same time im changing the water, and then put water conditioner in?

How the heck do you clean the gravel well when there are plants everywhere? :mad: When I get a larger tank, does an undergravel filter take care of gravel cleanliness?

Should I be buying a Python and a Mag-Float? lol Do you fill up your tank afterwards with the Pythons backflow thing?

I think thats it now.. lol Short answers would be great, save you guys on the typing :D I just really feel I want to be doing the right thing for my fish and plants and I want to have really nice green healthy plants too.

No real need to clean the gravel if you are heavily planted. Sounds like the sword needs some ferts. You could try a few root tabs. Remove the browning leaves, let the plant grow new ones.

Python is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You don't need one now, but with a larger tank you will appreciate it quickly.

UGF and planted tanks are not a great mix. A good cannister will serve you better.

In, only change 50% or less of the water. Be sure to dechlorinate and match the temperature when refilling.

Heck, you can leave the fish in even if doing a much larger water change. Just have to be careful to match temps as Rich mentioned.

I was using a generality. Be sure to leave them enough water to be mostly upright. I have been distracted and had some pretty annoyed angels in a couple of inches of water.

Back
Top Bottom