Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdneck21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would you be able to use play sand in a freshwater aquarium?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, lots of people use it you just need to check the bag to make sure it doesn't say not for aquarium use or contain any dyes. Most people prefer pool filter sand though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

+1 on pool filter sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no expert like alot of the replies you'll get.....but I researched that same question recently, and read that while play ground sand would work, it is very fine and easily disturbed in your tank...I used pool filter sand which was inexpensive (less than $10) at my local pool supply store. It may be a little bit larger granules and heavier, which should work a little better.

Regardless of the sand you choose, be sure to rinse it thoroughly prior to putting it in your tank. I thought I had rinsed mine well and my tank was still cloudy for 2-3 days while it settled......if I could do it again, I'd put some in a 5 gallon bucket and stick the garden hose down in there....move it around alot and let it overflow the cloudy water out until it's clear....I did this but in a much smaller bucket :-(

Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice everyone I got a quickrete play sand which is a little thicker sand so we will see what happens

Now after I put the water in its when it's cloudy do I run the filter or let it set for awhile

Back
Top Bottom