Quick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I would add that if you need a cheap alternative for a filter with more flow rate, this one works surprisingly well and is quiet. Very cheap too. Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon Quiet Flow Power Filters It doesn't have an adjustable flow though. I needed something cheap right away for a 5 gallon tank and got this one figuring I would upgrade later. 6 months later I am still using it. That site has a lot of other filters on sale right now too.

I seriously doubt the size of the filter is the issue here. BB will grow on every single available surface in the tank. I would look at the test kit before worrying about changing equipment. Have you taken a water sample to a lfs to have them test it with a dif kit?

I seriously doubt the size of the filter is the issue here. BB will grow on every single available surface in the tank. I would look at the test kit before worrying about changing equipment. Have you taken a water sample to a lfs to have them test it with a dif kit?
Wouldn't it go hand in hand with g/lph turnover??

Wouldn't it go hand in hand with g/lph turnover??

Unless there is a huge disparity between the tank size and the filter capacity it's not that big of a deal. It's true that most of the BB is located on the filter padding but if there's excess ammonia in the tank then BB will grow on everything else that has exposure to even a tiny amount of flow.

More than once I've seen people that have a well cycled tank when they change out their filter pads monthly. Then all of a sudden they change their substrate and their entire tank crashes because it was holding almost the entire bacterial colony for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom