Quickest/ easiest way to reduce nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys.

My tank is fine but id like my nitrates lower. My tap water is 40ppm nitrates.
So it rises to about 55/60ppm towards the end of the week and i do a water change.
What the cheapest/ easiest way to lower this. I have plants in my tank also.

Regular water changes, do you use water conditioner? If so what one, you could dilute your tap water with distilled water but that could be pricey, I'm not an expert as every lfs days don't worry about nitrates unless their to high above 80-100 ppm, nitrates do affect the immune system of a fish but only after a long period of time

I keep hearing about pothos. Anyone from the uk know where i can get some?

I dont think its affecting my tank, but id like to get it lower.
Water changes dont do much, as im adding 40ppm as soon as i change some water. Id like if its possible to get in the 20's if i can.

I keep hearing about pothos. Anyone from the uk know where i can get some?

I dont think its affecting my tank, but id like to get it lower.
Water changes dont do much, as im adding 40ppm as soon as i change some water. Id like if its possible to get in the 20's if i can.

You're probably more likely to find it as a house plant.

You gonna have more trouble trying to achieve this goal than it is ever going to cause.

Hi guys.

My tank is fine but id like my nitrates lower. My tap water is 40 ppm nitrates.
So it rises to about 55/60ppm towards the end of the week and i do a water change.
What the cheapest/ easiest way to lower this. I have plants in my tank also.

I have done a LOT of work on this last year. I have a method for my planted tank where nitrates are always going down to 0 ppm. However, I then have to dose them every few days to get them up to 10 for the plants. The effect, in my case, lasted about a year but I think I know how to make it permanent. You can pm me if you wish, I have lot's of documentation for those tanks. Some folks think I am making things up. meh...tired of arguing about it :D

You know what's crazy I have high nitrates, my plants struggle lol da heck is going on !

Back
Top Bottom