Rachel: An intro to the most passive fish I have ever encountered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
Several months ago, I was off galumphing in a fish store when I recalled that I had recently been down graded to only one giant danio (thanks to my paroon shark: RIP). Having thus recalled this horrible incident, I proceeded in purchasing 3 more giant danios to give the first a pack of hooligans to play such danio games as tag and abuse-everyone-else. I distinctly said, "Please, none of those skinny ones." In return I received 2 perfectly identical danios and one very skinny lil' dude. His/her gills had a far greater circumference than any other part of its body. In other words, HUGE head, ittybitty, teeny weeny body. This fish looked like, well, a nerd. A geek. Last to be picked in gym class.

The group dynamics immediately came into play. The original danio, having been in my care for nearly 2 years with a healthy diet, was easily the largest, fattest, fastest of any of the other three. It kept all other fish in line, not only the danio group. It regularly paid dues to marauding kuhli loaches, a 9" paroon shark, and angry blue paradise gouramis. But its main prey was the poor geeky giant danio.

Now for a quick side note, I have a friend, Lauren, and another, Rachel. They are cousins and Lauren is extremely competitive. But not only competitive, but slightly abusive towards her cousin, who happens to be a very passive, happy-go-lucky type of person. I just got back from Mexico City with Rachel and we had a blast. I have been friends with Lauren since we were nearly 8 years old. So, I am very good friends with both and they are not such great friends with one another, despite their cousin-ship.

As soon as I noticed this action between my newest danio and my oldest, it struck a bell. I then proceeded in naming said fish. The oldest became, "Lauren: Evil Aquatic Counter-part," and the other, "Rachel: Aquatic Counter-part." we all thought this was hilarious. Lauren regularly asked about her aquatic counter part and we had a great time, especially Lauren who loved the idea that her aquatic counter part basically pwned all other inhabitants in my fish tank. It's her personality. But then things went down hill, as things are won't to do (gravity... etc.).

Rachel was becoming more and more skinny. Her body was completely disproportionate to her head in such a way that I thought perhaps fiends were afoot (parasites). And then I noticed her fins were almost completely gone. Then I noticed Lauren was especially violent. It was time Rachel found a new home. The only other home available was my 10 gal guppy tank. Though worried for the sake of my guppies and their fry, I decided that Rachel's life was in danger. Seeing as how Rachel and I are very good friends, I couldn't stand the thought of willfully putting her to death at the hands of her cousin. That's just twisted and sick.

So, Rachel has now been living with the guppies for 4 months. Her fins are full and her body is still oddly puny. I have treated for worms and everything else in the book. I have fed a very high protein diet. And not to mention at any time their are at least six newborn guppies in the tank at any given time. Oh well. Maybe it's anorexic. I don't do fish psychiatry too well. But anyways, none of the guppies have bites out of their fins, not even the longest, shiniest of the males, and they all seem to get along fine. There is no chasing or fighting. In fact, I believe if there is any type of bullying ocurring it is on the side of the guppies. The smallest of them can bully Rachel around. Not to say that Rachel isn't healthy. No signs of problems with the gills, her colors are extremely clear, the darks are dark, the lights are bright. Just a little odd looking (off breeding probably etc). But the only sound conclusion I have come to about Rachel, is that she is the most passive fish I have ever encountered. A shy kuhli loach leads the life of a harlot compared to Rachel. I don't think she will ever move past the guppy tank! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that story....it was cute. I am now realizing the personalities of fish, as I have been out of this for many years.

fish personalities are very interesting. i have angelfish from the same brood that all have their likes and dislikes, from food to hiding spots, etc.

There was several in the tank in varying conditions similar to "Rachel." If they were to kill off the runts I believe over half their stock would be demolished. It's not exactly the most reputable store in the world- but if you look around sometimes you can come across decent fish.

Back
Top Bottom