Rainbowfish dying unknown reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I cant figure out why my rainbowfish are dying. I just lost two of my 3 rainbowfish within 3 or 4 days of each other. My tank is a 55 gallon community with 12 glofish, 3 otos, 2 denison barbs, and a bushy nose pleco. I have the topfin 75 filter it came with and two Aquaclear 30's and the heater it came with. Everthing is going great, i have lots of malaysian driftwood and a sand substrate. I checked my parameters and everything is spot on.

So a few days ago my boesemani rainbowfish was swimming all crazy and he would go upside down then swim crooked then get stuck between some wood or on the bottom so i went ahead and got him out. Since then i noticed one of my two australians was losing color and not eating and just last night i noticed he was swimming all crazy to and got stuck on the bottom. I had to take him out. My last and biggest australian rainbow seems to be doing fine. He was kind of starting to be a slight bully towards the other two but i dont think enough to kill them. All other fish are fine as of now. Was is killing my fish?

Can you list water parameters for tests you have? Also had there been any changes in the tank when it started - even a temp change or pwc?

Any marks on the fish at all?

Sent by iPhone using AA

There were no changes, i hadnt done anything but top it off with water in two weeks. Sometimes i do weekly water change and sometimes i end up skipping a week but other than that no changes.

I am going to test my parameters tomorrow and post them.

There wasnt really any marks on them. Just one day i noticed they weren't eating and lost color then they were swimming all messed up. One had a bent looking body like it was cramped up.

I have one rainbowfish left and hes doing just fine. Maybe this one was bullying the others since I only had three idk..

Odd one. My thought would be either water conditions or a bacterial infection of some kind. Definitely worth checking water readings for sure. Just in case I would also increase the pwc's for a bit.

Sent by iPhone using AA

So, two days ago which was right after my second rainbowfish died I decided to do a huge water change and filter cleaning which i shouldnt have done. I took out way too much water and moved all my driftwood disturbing tons of crap. I also replaced one of my filters media and the other two i just squeezed out in tank water. In doing this massive cleaning i managed to kill my two denison barbs. I learned afterwards that they are very sensitive to water cleanliness and need high oxygen levels and sensitive to temperature.

Now i just checked my parameters and Ammo is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, and Nitrate is 0 ppm. That is very low Nitrate for my tank, i really hope i didnt restart the cycle. pH is at the normal 7.5 for my tank.

So, two days ago which was right after my second rainbowfish died I decided to do a huge water change and filter cleaning which i shouldnt have done. I took out way too much water and moved all my driftwood disturbing tons of crap. I also replaced one of my filters media and the other two i just squeezed out in tank water. In doing this massive cleaning i managed to kill my two denison barbs. I learned afterwards that they are very sensitive to water cleanliness and need high oxygen levels and sensitive to temperature.

Now i just checked my parameters and Ammo is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, and Nitrate is 0 ppm. That is very low Nitrate for my tank, i really hope i didnt restart the cycle. pH is at the normal 7.5 for my tank.

Sad news. Hopefully the tank settles down. I've had the tank temp jump several degrees C in the first heat wave of the year and that set off problems. My suspicion is that if fish are under a bit of stress then another change just gets too much. If everything is good then I've had the water temp drop by 20% in a pwc and no problems at all.

Sent by iPhone using AA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom