Rainbowfish fin rot?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My emerald rainbowfish has something wrong with his dorsal fin. I'm hoping it's not fin rot! Can anyone tell from this pic? If it is, What treatment do you recommend. Could it be from nipping?

I just upgraded this tank from a 30 to a 60 two weeks ago. I've done 1/4 water changes om the weekends. I added 3 cories and one more rainbowfish this week. So at the moment I have 11 bows, 5 cories and a GBR. I don't know the levels because I can't find my test kit! Levels have been fine before though. i am concerned that the temp may be too low. I've ordered a heater and it should be here any day. the temp stays about 74 degrees. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMAG1682.jpg
    IMAG1682.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 311
It's hard to tell by the picture what's wrong. But if it is fun rot it is easily prevented by perfect water quality and easily cured with good maintenance and the addition of melafix. Melafix is something that I believe every fish keeper should have on hand at all times, its helped me out a lot. It's all natural so won't harm anything and helps speed recovery from cuts/scrapes to fin tears or nipping and cures fin rot, also helps with fin clamping.

Fin rot is fairly easy to diagnose though. Wasting away of the fins with reddened or darkened tips along with clamping of the fins which could be a sign of oncoming fin rot or a secondary issue due to fin rot

Back
Top Bottom