Ram difficulties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ram likes to hangout at the bottom and never goes to the top, he barley even goes in the middle level area of the tank. When it's feeding time he doesn't go to the top like the rest of my fish but just waits till some of the food falls to his level( the bottom) nervous he isn't getting enough food. Any ideas on what I can do to help him get more food?

My ram likes to hangout at the bottom and never goes to the top, he barley even goes in the middle level area of the tank. When it's feeding time he doesn't go to the top like the rest of my fish but just waits till some of the food falls to his level( the bottom) nervous he isn't getting enough food. Any ideas on what I can do to help him get more food?

We need more information, what's your stock and water parameters. Rams can be sensitive so there may be a reason for that behavior. Is it breathing heavily and what's it's color like? Can you get a pic?

55 gallon community

3 lemon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
3 hi 511 tetras
2 DG
2 Cory's
3 gold barbs
1 clown pleco
1 kuhili loach
2 rainbow sharks
I had my water tested at 2 lfs and they said my levels were fine for my fish so I don't know exact numbers

Well this is him/her. It's not a GBR or EBR I guess it's called a altispinosa ram.
image-363306902.jpg

55 gallon community

3 lemon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
3 hi 511 tetras
2 DG
2 Cory's
3 gold barbs
1 clown pleco
1 kuhili loach
2 rainbow sharks
I had my water tested at 2 lfs and they said my levels were fine for my fish so I don't know exact numbers

Yeah that's not an Apistogramma it's a Bolivian Ram. The two rainbow sharks is not a good idea, don't they fight? Regardless you should really only have one. Does anyone bully your ram? Also, don't rely on LFS to test your water, you should do it each week on your own so I recommend getting the API master kit. Also, while Bolivians are much hardier than a GBR, what may be acceptable for some fish parameter wise does not relate to rams. This is why it's important to know your parameters, not all fish are universal in this regard. For instance, say your nitrates were around 15-20 ppm. This is okay for most of your fish, but it could be something that is irritating your ram, it would for sure kill a GBR. Yours doesn't look bad, but it definitely doesn't look happy. How long have you had it? When you bought it was it with a school of Bolivians at the store?

I have a rather shy german ram. He doesn't like to come to the top and doesn't like the flaked food. He will pick at the shrimp pellets that sink, but his absolute favorite are tubeworms. They will float, and eventually sink, and then he will eat it. But I take the square inside the tank, press it against the glass until all the air bubbles are out and it sticks there. He goes after it like there is nothing else! He actually waits for his special food every morning. They are middle tank feeders.

It is very common for rams to prefer waiting for food to come down to them. I have had very few rams over the years that actually came to the surface to feed. This is normal and one thing you can try is put food for everyone in at one end of the tank then put some in at the other end. If you feeding flakes you can hold some between your fingers and put your hand in the tank lower and shake them loose so they are floating in the lower tank levels. My rams love peas and since cooked, deshelled, smushed peas sink I always drop in a few daily. You can also use a turkey baster to suck up food in and squirt it lower into the tank. Just think creatively.

Ok thanks everyone that really helps me out a lot. Ill try those ideas and see if they work.

Bolivian Rams prefer the bottom third of the aquarium and rarely venture to the top. Your ram is behaving naturally. They will spend most of their time searching in the substrate for food. If you are concerned that they are not getting enough food you can feed them a good quality sinking cichlid pellet. Omega 1 makes a sinking cichlid pellet you can try.

I feel it all depends on comfortability. My GBR's and GR's investigate every nook and cranny of my tank. Yes while the mostly circulate from the middle of the tank down, they are rarely stationary to the bottom. It definitely helps to have more than one, that could also be why your bolivian is not as active. My experience of course.

Ok thank you all. I'm gonna try and do everything you all said to make sure he gets enough food. All of your ideas are great! Thanks again!

I'd like to add that my Bolivian ram NEVER goes above the halfway pt if my 55 gal tank. My ebr usually stats atbthe bottom as well but will explore the upper parts if the tank at times. Usually around the driftwood.

Yeah mine was hanging out at the top for about 2 sec then went back down ha

My Bolivians always stay at the bottom, while my GBRs seem to mainly stay on thebottom or school with the rainbows. I now feed both floating and sinking food to make sure everyone gets their fair share.

Back
Top Bottom