Ram with bloat, can't use salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my Rams has pretty bad bloat, been bad since yesterday.

I don't want to move him, and salt is not an option, also don't think meds are a good idea either?
Anything I can do besides keep the water perfect and clean? Should I just move him?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I decided to move him. He got worse. He's in a 5g with Epsom salt.

The only time I had a Ram that was bloated, I finally figured out it was constipation but it took almost two months for it to go away. I tried everything to get it to go away when I found Cobalt foods with Probiotics that helped her pass the blockage. It could be a Parasite but other than that not to sure what would cause that

It's weird, he's the only fish sick. I have another ram that's just fine. I'm sure keeping him isolated with clean water will help, let him stay in the salt bath for the night.

This happened to my gbr, Mr ramster, is yours scooting along the bottom? I moved mine to qt and treated api gen cure, he got better for a couple weeks then it happened again, he died.. I've read this is one of their shortcomings and their is usually nothing that can be done sadly..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She passed this morning. I'm going to get a male now. When I bought them I thought I had a male and a female, but it turned out to be 2 females, so it kinda works out, but it always sucks when a fish dies, she might have just been a bad strain. The rest if the tank is perfectly fine

Rams can be tricky. You always want to find good stock and it can be difficult to tell sometimes until it's to late. I've even seen some what I would consider better store's sell Ram's that are iffy. They can be tough.

the thing with rams is you have to be real careful not to over feed them and only use the freshest food , some live brine shrimp often seems to help
also the tank needs to be spotless

Back
Top Bottom