Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if I could add a Bolivian Ram to my 20 gallon high tank. My current stock is:
7 bloodfin tetras
7 rummy nose tetras

I first added bloodfins on March 8.
Any experience with bolivians?

I know they need a developed tank, and I am mostly wondering if mine is developed enough.

As far as I know that sounds like it would work, but I've never actually kept a ram so... Yeah. From what I've read that sounds ok but you might want to get some other advice from someone with experience keeping rams :)

I've had a Bolivian ram in a 20 gal high for 2 years. It's outlived every tetra I added. I've even had a betta in the tank for a few weeks with no issues. You should be fine. Not sure if that will be overstocked though.

I don't think it's overstocked. Just keep up the water changes and you'll be fine

I've had my 30 up for 4 months with fish and then i finally got a pair of Bolivians a week ago and so far they have been great. They dont bully my cardinals at all not even during feeding time.

Well it turns out I didn't make it to the pet store so I will just wait for a little while longer (maybe june). I just want to make sure the tank is developed enough.

YAY!
Good news!
On saturday night, I went by the store and finally got a ram!
It is a bolivian, and it seems to be doing well. It doesn't move around much, and it is not very colorful, but it hasn't even been 24 hours, so it seems to be fine. How many pellets should I feed it and when?

Way to go. Bolivians are pretty and once they get to know you, some will beg for food. I have 2 in my 29 community tank and they mostly leave everyone alone. Are you feeding shrimp pellets? Give it as many as it will eat in a few minutes. Can you give us a picture or two?

Well, there has been some good and bad news. I got it some pellets, it is the aqueon mini cichlid pellets. The problem is that the other fish always eat the pellets before it gets to the ram, and it gets stuck in the fish's jaw because the pellets are too big and they start freaking out (but it goes down after an hour or so:D)! What would you suggest doing? I eventually ended up putting my hand in there and placing the pellets next to the ram and shooing the other fish away with my hand. It seemed to work, and he/she (don't know the sex, will post pics later in the week) ate 4 pellets or so. I will try this again tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom