Rams to kirbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
semi-planted 75gallon.

Current stock-
2 mated pairs of German blue rams
12 mixed Corys
10 cherry barbs
5 albino bristle nose plecos

Planed on adding-
4-6 angelfish

Main question/concern is....
My GBRs are breeding readily, but after 12-24 hrs (sometimes less) they eat all of the eggs, with out a trace that the eggs were even there. I have tried to artificially raise them. But I never seem to be able to get them to eat the newly hatched brine that I make for them.
Soooo....with that said, my lfs now has some beautiful kirbs and even albino kirbs for sale!!!!;);)
I was looking at trading in my 2 pairs for in-store credit, and then getting (?#?) pairs/singles of kirbs for my tank.
And also..are kirbs better parents than my GBRs?

And what are your ideas or thoughts on the subject??

They make as good a parents as Rams are. The thing is that often times it takes pairs several tries before they get the whole process right. Some pairs get it right the first time and some pairs never get it down. Kribs are the same way. So it's a 50/50 chance that the Kribs will do better than the Rams. If the Rams have only spawned a few times then you might want to give them a longer time to try to figure it out. If your bored with them then try the Kribs.

They make as good a parents as Rams are. The thing is that often times it takes pairs several tries before they get the whole process right. Some pairs get it right the first time and some pairs never get it down. Kribs are the same way. So it's a 50/50 chance that the Kribs will do better than the Rams. If the Rams have only spawned a few times then you might want to give them a longer time to try to figure it out. If your bored with them then try the Kribs.

#1 I hate admitting it but I am sort of tired of the rams.

#2 the rams have had more than a few batches each maybe 10-12 batches per pair.

Can you describe to me some of the most reliable characteristics of the differences between the two sexes?
I've heard of the fins being elongated and pointed. But when picking out male and female convicts a while back, they almost al had the pointy dorsal fins. So this was not a very accurate way to determine the sexes.

It's been several years since I kept Kribs but this is how I used to sex them, look at the end of the dorsal fin and I mean the END.....females will be clear, but the males will have a bit of color along the top edge all the way to the end. The males will always carry color right out to the end of the fin, but the females will stop before the end. I'm sure others will have their own way.

It's been several years since I kept Kribs but this is how I used to sex them, look at the end of the dorsal fin and I mean the END.....females will be clear, but the males will have a bit of color along the top edge all the way to the end. The males will always carry color right out to the end of the fin, but the females will stop before the end. I'm sure others will have their own way.

How would I be able to do this on an albino kirb?

Back
Top Bottom