Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
My girlfriend has wanted 'a fish' in my aquarium for ages. She always wanted a betta but i hate them. I showed her a picture of a ram as i want one. Turns out she likes them!! So i dont want an electric blue as they are similar colour to my dwarf gourami. Looking for one with maybe a bit of purple/pink in it. Any ideas??? Also would need to be easy to get hold of in the uk
Thanks

Im hoping this will spark her interest into the hobby

Rams are sweet! I have a gbr and he's the man! How long has your tank been running? These are not beginner fish. They require certain water parameters to thrive, the EBR are a bit more tricky than the other varieties..

Rams are sweet! I have a gbr and he's the man! How long has your tank been running? These are not beginner fish. They require certain water parameters to thrive, the EBR are a bit more tricky than the other varieties..

Yea i have already explained to her that they are sensitive and would prob be the first to die if my water params got out of line. Tank is 7 months old and water quality is better than ever since i got a second filter rammed of bio media set up

Sounds like you're ready! Only other quirk.. Ph, my understanding is they prefer a lower ph and higher temp, ideally 82deg and ph of 6.4-6.8.my tank is 80-81 and ph is low 7's and mine seems to be doing great. I guess they color up better in a low ph but again mine had colored up great..hmmmm. They are great lil fish, very active, especially during feeding, they'll be dancing for food at the front of the tank.

image-1822182619.jpg

My tank is probably about 78 degrees. I could turn it up a little bit thats not a problem. pH is around 7ish. Goes lower though as my pressurised co2 comes on at 3pm and is on for 5 hours. Knocks it down to 6.5pH ish. I think im ready for a sensitive fish. Ive had my red cherry shrimp breed so i guess thats an indicator to good water

These were my ammonia and nitrite readings a couple days ago. I posted them on a thread where the OP seemed to have difficulty reading his results...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393502770.804366.jpg

I didnt test my trates at the time as he wasnt having difficulty with them. My trates are 40ppm but my tank is heavily planted

Oh im defo going for one. I was just after some options. I know of the electric blue ram and gold ram, are there many other types??

Those two seem too be the more delicate of rams, the German blue is my personal favorite, they have that nice electric blue effervescence while also displaying many other colors. The Bolivians seem to be the toughest while IMO not displaying as much of the rams trademark colors and patterns. I'd always recommend a gbr over any others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom