Rate my stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I set up my 200 liters aquarium on May. It has been fully cycled and it now houses the following fish:
4 X Angelfish
4 X Pearl gourami
2 X Golden mystery snails
8 X Red eye tetras
3 X Neon tetras
4 X Corydoras

Now, about the neons, I know they need to be in a bigger school. I initially had 10, but during a recent tank clean-up, some of them died. My lfs currently don't have them in stock and I will increase the school back up to 8 or 10 once I can buy them.

Rate my stocking. Is it under-stocked or overstocked or correctly stocked? Feel free to comment.

How do the 4 Pearl Gourami's behave together?I'm currently trying to plan my 200 litre aquarium and really want some Gourami's but ive been told to stay away from keeping multiple?

Angelfish and gouramis don't get along, I would pick two at most of either species.

It's gonna be really rough if the angelfish pair up and start breeding, they'll bully everything else in the tank.they get pretty aggressive as a breeding pair

I would try to rehome either all of the angels, or al the pearls, and only keep two of either species. Once you do this, I would bump your all your schools up.

Cory cats like schools of 6+
Then boost you neons

In a tank that small I would not keep more than a single angelfish. Once they reach full adulthood they often become intolerant of other angels. Even more so if a pair forms.

How do the 4 Pearl Gourami's behave together?I'm currently trying to plan my 200 litre aquarium and really want some Gourami's but ive been told to stay away from keeping multiple?
My angelfish and pearl gouramis have no problem among them. Sometimes they swim together and never mind about each other. In fact, no fish up there in my tank bullies or fight with another one as far as I have observed.

Angelfish and gouramis don't get along, I would pick two at most of either species.

It's gonna be really rough if the angelfish pair up and start breeding, they'll bully everything else in the tank. They get pretty aggressive as a breeding pair

I would try to rehome either all of the angels, or al the pearls, and only keep two of either species. Once you do this, I would bump your all your schools up.

Cory cats like schools of 6+
Then boost you neons

The angelfish have a long way to go yet. They will take time to mature and if I face any problems then I will find a new home for them. For now, there is no compatibility issues. I made some research and found them to be suitable. Of course, there are exceptional cases.

I am surely going to buy more neons to increase the school size. But I still have a dilemma about the cories. They do seem to be happy. My main concern is, how is my stocking?
Overstocked or understocked or correctly stocked?

In my experience keeping these kind of fish together can cause issues, mature(ing) Pearl Gourami can fight each other males especially.

Though (only) one Pearl Gourami I had was the sweetest, most lovely fish in the tank, a "kindly" gentle fish until the Angels kept attacking him and he got pissed and went back at them.

The other Pearls I originally had, the dominant male killed the other male, and the female was startled and shot straight into the substrate and died
which ended up rehoming to murderer to a semi aggressive tank belonged to a friend and kept the nice peaceful male for many years.
We moved fish around - so many times - Angels maturing and getting paired off and fighting about who was going to be the victor. Caused the entire tank stock except the Angels to stand in fear of attack. In a 72G tank.

Beware, and use caution.

I was told that I could keep male Angels together in a tank, and after trying to get all the female hormones water changed out of the tank for a few weeks of pwc's, still couldn't get the Angels to get along, several attempts with changing fish around even.

Not end all, but my experience.

2 of the numerous Angels now have ther own space and now are raising a batch of nearly a month old babies. Many were rehomed!

I think you have fish which, as Angels can get the size of an opened hand and Gourami also 5-6 inches you will have too many large fish. Also fish will often get along before they grow up / mature sexually.

Just keep an every on everything. I would just think that in the future you may need to keep a paired up pair separately. Then a single male Pearl, they are really beautiful fish. Maybe a single Angel. Pick your favorite!

Up the numbers in the shoals.

Hi everyone,

I set up my 200 liters aquarium on May. It has been fully cycled and it now houses the following fish:
4 X Angelfish
4 X Pearl gourami
2 X Golden mystery snails
8 X Red eye tetras
3 X Neon tetras
4 X Corydoras

Now, about the neons, I know they need to be in a bigger school. I initially had 10, but during a recent tank clean-up, some of them died. My lfs currently don't have them in stock and I will increase the school back up to 8 or 10 once I can buy them.

Rate my stocking. Is it under-stocked or overstocked or correctly stocked? Feel free to comment.

Hey,
Your number of neons you have is really low.. 3 is the absolute minimum and definitely not recommended, the bare minimum is 6. IMO/IME no less than 6 as a minimum, 3 if you have too, the more the better, if you can't access neons, cardinals will generally shoal/school with the neons visa versa. Angel fish is on the high side, but other than that, I see no problems.

The other Pearls I originally had, the dominant male killed the other male, and the female was startled and shot straight into the substrate and died
which ended up rehoming to murderer to a semi aggressive tank belonged to a friend and kept the nice peaceful male for many years.
We moved fish around - so many times - Angels maturing and getting paired off and fighting about who was going to be the victor. Caused the entire tank stock except the Angels to stand in fear of attack. In a 72G tank.

Up the numbers in the shoals.

I may have to give up my neons! I love them but once I saw an angel attack a neon, few seconds later the neon just spiraled to the top and died. As dalto said, neons are a food to angels in the wild. That may have been their natural instinct.

Over all, I love the angels the most. In future, if the gouramis don't go along with angels, I will also give them up. I will increase the cory school to 6.

2 quick questions...
1.One of my cory seems to have a clouded eye. It has been like that since I bought it. It is active overall. And I think it is blind. Is it a problem?

2.All of my fish are kinda juveniles. How do you sex angels and pearl gouramis before they mature sexually if possible?

Back
Top Bottom