RCS and Ghost Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rain87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have about 15 or so Ghost Shrimp in my 55g planted. I would like to add RCS but I'm not sure if the Ghost Shrimp would eat them or not. Anyone have both or know if it would be okay to have both?

rain87 said:
So I have about 15 or so Ghost Shrimp in my 55g planted. I would like to add RCS but I'm not sure if the Ghost Shrimp would eat them or not. Anyone have both or know if it would be okay to have both?

I have them together with no problems, even have a pair of CRS in with them too.

Mr. Limpet said:
I put them in my BW tank about 10 days ago, with some AES and haven't seen them too often, so I can't say.

Ah alright thanks! I'm actually thinking about adding amano and ghostie in my 10 gallon

brackish water is not needed for breeding ghost shrimp, it may or may not be helpful, but mine had some babies in freshwater, and a few survived.

the trickiest part is filtration, i turned my filter completely off for about 3 weeks. i just did water changes and had a very small airstone running. also i fed them a mix of rotifers and "first bites"

not worth the effort since they are about 3 for a dollar.

brackish water is not needed for breeding ghost shrimp, it may or may not be helpful, but mine had some babies in freshwater, and a few survived.

the trickiest part is filtration, i turned my filter completely off for about 3 weeks. i just did water changes and had a very small airstone running. also i fed them a mix of rotifers and "first bites"

not worth the effort since they are about 3 for a dollar.

They are loads of different shrimps sold to us as "ghost" shrimp. Some, including the ones I keep, do actually need brackish to reproduce.

They are loads of different shrimps sold to us as "ghost" shrimp. Some, including the ones I keep, do actually need brackish to reproduce.

This is true. Some species of Ghost shrimp do need brackish water to successfully reproduce but ghost shrimp also have a short larval stage which is where I think the problem occurs for most aquarists. Ghost shrimp larvae don't swim, they float through the water column, so in normal aquarium environments they most likely can not find enough micro-foods to grow (or they are sucked up into the filter as nottooslow mentioned).

As to the OP, there was another thread on this subject just recently. You can find it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/ghost-and-cherry-red-shrimp-153555.html

true, i didnt think of that, the ones i got i guess were not brackish.

my friend however was sold some sort of prawn as a ghost shrimp. that thing grabbed one of his celestial pearl danios and took it into a cave and almost ate it before my buddy stopped it.

he took it out and gave it to another guy and that guy gave it its own 20 gallon tank, its nearly 8 inches long now. it is one of the funnest things to watch eat. his arms go everywhere and he just freaks out when a pellet is dropped in his tank.

Back
Top Bottom