Re-occurring cotton-mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Got bit of a problem that I could use some help on:

Last September roughly when our summer started I lost all neons eventually to cotton mouth. Saved one bn catfish but a long fight.

Been dubious about the tank ever since.

Last month had ich, lost no fish but the rasbora's looked fairly dreadful. In the last week I've lost 6 to cotton mouth with 3 remaining. I really suspect the bacteria is still in the tank so we will see how those 3 go.

Specs are 0,0,30 and ph 7.2. Pwc 40% every week. Planted and going for 2yrs.

I'm at a loss to get rid of it and my only hope is winter when I figure the tank temp will go down and weed it out.

Any ideas to not have it show up again much appreciated??

Got bit of a problem that I could use some help on:

Last September roughly when our summer started I lost all neons eventually to cotton mouth. Saved one bn catfish but a long fight.

Been dubious about the tank ever since.

Last month had ich, lost no fish but the rasbora's looked fairly dreadful. In the last week I've lost 6 to cotton mouth with 3 remaining. I really suspect the bacteria is still in the tank so we will see how those 3 go.

Specs are 0,0,30 and ph 7.2. Pwc 40% every week. Planted and going for 2yrs.

I'm at a loss to get rid of it and my only hope is winter when I figure the tank temp will go down and weed it out.

Any ideas to not have it show up again much appreciated??

I think mouth fungus if this is what you are describing is a symptom of columnaris. This bacteria can certainly wipe out a full tank in pretty limited time. Maybe API triple sulfa? What is your tank maintenance schedule and routine? Lower temps slows columnaris down but will not effect the outcome. Assuming this is what it is.

Aye, that's the one. Well it's about a 40% pwc each week and gravel vac. One internal filter and 2 canisters but it's not float on air water quality.

The cardinal tetras that had ich were fine, these 2 year old rasbora's never looked great after getting ich.

Tank temp is about 27c whereas normally it would be 22c over winter. A QT at the moment would be hotter than the main tank which is narking me. That was I think how I lost the neons, the triple sulpha and a few other meds looked a chance but the QT was always warm water. I did treat the main tank a few times as well.

I've read somewhere that it prefers aerobic water conditions or clean water. I'm almost tempted to turn the UV unit off in case that is upsetting the bacterial balance somehow (aliens come next) and try that.

Edit - I seem to have a chronic case of it. The neons lasted 3 weeks but at the end I could see around the mouths being eaten away.

I had a neon with mouth fungus and it was losing its red pigmentation. I read it was the bacteria eating away at its flesh from the inside then other neons lost there colour. I put some triple sulfa in the tank. Changes the diet and kept fresh water going in 2 times a week. I reduced the temp back from 30 to 25 slowly as I believed at the temp increasing the temp would help.

All my neons now show really vibrant colouration but my ram looks terrible. He pulled through but I just can't return him to his normal colours or weight.

Yes I thought the triple sulpha made a difference but I've tried tetracycline, fungal cure (just in case), waterlife myxazin (who knows what is in that) and something else I can't remember plus salt.

At least the cardinal tetras pulled through ok from the ich. They were $10 each which was way over priced but looked very good and large size.

Edit - that was the problem I had with the catfish, it took months and now he seems ok but quite a few times I said he is gone but I will try one more day. Water changes seemed to help but there is a limit to those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom