Read this Salinity in reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 4yrs I've been running my tanks, a salinity of 1.026 or less has never effected my tanks adversely in any way, reef or otherwise. I've been to different marine conferences/seminars over this past year and had opportunities to talk/hear lectures by many of the top people in the industry. I have heard over and over again that 1.026 is ideal for a reef enviroment. And while whoever wrote this article may have valid points, I won't take one persons views over many and assume he/she is an authority on sw tanks.

While I am sure that reefkeeping.com appreciates the multitudes of free advertising you are giving them in all your posts that you have referenced that article in, can you base your statements on any personal experience that you may have? I can tell you from my experience in my 8 tanks, ranging in size from 40 to 175 gallons, that over the years, I have not had any parasitic issues. I am also adding stock from various sources on a regular basis and have the opportunity to acquire aforementioned parasites that you keep referring to. Although your intent is good, you need to understand that in this hobby, there is not just one way to do things. There are many variables and the success/demise of the contents of a tank, hinge on many factors. Please quit ramming that magazine article down our collective throats.

I`ve had my salinity between 23-24 for over 8 years now and if you need evidence of my tank go to my gallery. I went to your gallery and lo and behold you did not have anything on yours. Do you even have a reef tank. I gave this illustrationbefore but for you I`ll give it again. Opinions are like armpits. We have two of them and they both stink. :eek2:

LOL Yes I have a reef tank Im just saying this is what was suggested. I dont have any pics of it yet waiting on a digital camera plus im new here.

No one here is saying that 1.026 is wrong, we are all saying that it is not needed to have a successful tank. I have run mine at 1.023 for years and I now run it at 1.025 I have healthy fish and corals. When you get a few years under your belt you will come up with what works best for you and not follow every thing written down as gospel. Even the "experts" don't know everything and a lot of our fish and corals come from different areas of the world where the SG, temp are not all the same.

Back
Top Bottom