Recomissioning an old tank - procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We started out with a 6.6 gallon tank which we put into the shed when we got our 17 gallon one. However I'm now planning to get the old 6.6 gallon out, dust it down and put it back in use again!

Please can you comment on the procedure I've outlined and see if it sounds a sensible one!

- Get a new filter (don't trust the old one) suitable for that size of tank
- Mount that filter in the big existing tank and set it running, leave it for a month.
- 3 weeks later get the small tank and set it up, with the sand, decorations, heater etc and fill up with water and allow to settle for a week.
- 1 hour before we get the new fish, move the filter which has been running in the big tank for a month, into the small tank.
- Get a couple of small fish, and leave them for at least another month before adding more.
- Test the water in both tanks regularly and water change if necessary (in any case at least once a week of course)

Does that all sound sensible and mean that the tank will have a fully cycled filter ready to put fish in?

Get a new filter
if there was nothing wrong with it you prob dont have to replace it. i have filters here that have been running for years. though if you want to go for it.

Mount that filter in the big existing tank and set it running, leave it for a month.
this will seed the filter great idea.

water and allow to settle for a week.
you dont really have to wait a week for it to settle a day or two is plenty.

1 hour before we get the new fish, move the filter
sounds good

Get a couple of small fish, and leave them for at least another month before adding more.
- Test the water in both tanks regularly and water change if necessary (in any case at least once a week of course)
once again perfect. just isnt a lot of room to add many fish so just make sure to choose wisely.

Cool. Looks like a goer then. I decided that I will get a new filter, yes the old one will probably be ok, but firstly it'll need a new sponge anyway and for just a little more I can get an entirely new filter. I never liked the ones which came with the tank, and I do still somewhat blame it for my initial failures, although of course it's probably perfectly fine!

Back
Top Bottom