Recommendations for NOT dangerous corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Any thoughts on any "safe" to have/keep corals?

In general I understand how come they have toxins - to keep away (me), I mean predators...

I am going to end up a rare macro Algae farmer at this rate.

It is my preference to not have any corals which will paly toxin me or sting me. Call me a big baby if you want, to my face or behind my back... :lol:

It would be nice to not have this concern.

A number of years ago there was a paly toxin tank mass murder in my house and I am hoping to not be injured by my tank inhabitants. I got a numb hand from the initial incident. ( A frag rock fell a few inches off a higher rock and bumped the colony at the edge maybe 2-3 were bumped. I think 2 squirted out milky substance and I didn't realize what had happened until my hand was getting numb.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

One of the things I do like is Rock Flower Anemones.

In the next few months my IM 80G lagoon tank will be set up and I do not want to make any serious mistakes, if they can be avoided.

If you are sensitive to paly toxin, then I would stick with LPS for corals. That is very wide variety to choose from. I always suggest that everyone has at least one duncan in their reef tanks. Love that coral, very hardy and as non aggressive as they come. Amazing look and fast grower.

I have a tiny head of what I think is a Duncan frag, and another which has two small heads. They rode out the bad water conditions in the tank and sporadic lighting after the light broke, and made it through. A long time ago I had a nice size maybe 6-8 heads, and it went with a few other things when there was a emergency tank downgrade.

That sounds like a good one to keep then.

They are SUPER hardy. I had a small frag I got simply because it was different colored than my main colony. I thought I lost it in the crash and saw no tissue. My rule is to always leave in for awhile just in case. Next thing I know what looked like aged stone grew a head back. As it stands it has recovered all the old growth and is expanding.

I think that may have happened here too thinking it was a goner had algae on it and also my Red flower pot Goniopora frag, just popped out in it's bright redness one day, and hadn't seen it for awhile. Didn't know it was still there.

Amazing really.

Those flowerpot corals are so hard to keep too. I have read that they like dirtier water and that the aquacultured are easier to keep...but no evidence of such that I've seen.

Well it did appear around the 2 weeks the tank didn't get a water change. I think my issue then was low calcium and a lack of nutrients for some of the other things.

Presently adding some drops of Brightwell Aquatics - Replenish trace, and Liquid Reef reef building complex.

That could have been a help.

Okay I won't ask!
In my 6.6G nano, I always had good water conditions, never ammonia, so didn't need to change water too much water (maybe 3x permonth about a gallon, or I would normally do about a half gallon once a week if doing a water add for evap.)

When I didn't change the water very much last couple months, over time the minerals / things the corals needed would be gone.

On to the new situation with the larger tank. Different things to worry about and then in 2-3 months the 80G Lagoon style IM AIO can get going.

Thank you for the help as always!

Back
Top Bottom