recommended hrs of light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been reading that 10 hours of light is adequate for plants.. is it ok if they get 12-14 a day?

I mean the sun rises here at 0500-0530 and doesn't set till 1800-1900 (6-7 pm) that right there is 13-14 of natural light. So I don't see why it would hurt but just curious to any side effects

Well, they don't get direct sunlight that long. Think about how the sun rises and sets....My tank is only lit for 7.5 hours a day. More than that often causes algae issues.

Well then that would explain a lot lol.. ill be getting a timer this weekend, seems to be the best option

Yep, a timer is a necessity IMO. Try with 8. You may need to add or remove a half hour or so, just lets the plants, and potentially the algae, determine that.

Well I def have the algae, and I'm hoping to get that under control when I get my pleco Saturday.. how will I know if the plants aren't getting enough light? Will they start to shrivel?

Yep, a timer is a necessity IMO. Try with 8. You may need to add or remove a half hour or so, just lets the plants, and potentially the algae, determine that.

How much light are you giving your plants...I believe you are high light, right? I give 2.4 wpg for a 10g for 9 hours and just getting green on the glass. I will try to reduce to 8 hours.

Aspencer said:
How much light are you giving your plants...I believe you are high light, right? I give 2.4 wpg for a 10g for 9 hours and just getting green on the glass. I will try to reduce to 8 hours.

I have green algae on the glass and leaves oh and decor.. I'm sure the light is the culprit.. will reduce time lights on..

Back
Top Bottom