Recommended Storage Container for Salt Water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a cheap 30 gallon plastic trash can from Walmart to hold mix water--salt water for water changes. BIG MISTAKE! It leached a horrible plasticy smell into the water. I skimped, and paid for it....:rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a good container or brand to hold saltwater mix that is 30 gallons or more and won't leach anything into the water?

Recommendations are appreciated :)

Buy a drinking water container. The kind they'd sell at a camping store for prolonged trips to the woods or what not. I do that but with 10g containers because I have to haul them upstairs hehe. You could probably find something 30 gallons though. Just make sure it's intended for drinking water storage.

i use a 32G rubbermaid trash can its NSF safe for potable water

Last edited:
I use 5 gallon water cooler jugs. I get them for $5 a pop at home depot. Just go to the service desk that everyone brings the empties for recycling and pick out the best look'n ones with caps and you should be good to go. I always keep 5 on hand.

I'm not sure if hackteck is talking about the same one, but the BRUTE trash cans are very popular and safe. (I specify BRUTE because I know not all Rubbermaid containers will work.)

jenatron said:
I'm not sure if hackteck is talking about the same one, but the BRUTE trash cans are very popular and safe. (I specify BRUTE because I know not all Rubbermaid containers will work.)

Yes I was talking about rubbermade brute.

Thanks all! Brute it is. I used to use the 5 gallon drinking water jugs but I would really like something bigger to store in my sunroom. The Brute should do it. I should have bought that one in the first place....

I guess it's true what they say, "Save now, and pay for it twice."

I use a Brute white container but there hard to find and shipping is expensive. Also Brute makes a grey container which is food safe that they sell in lowes for around $30.00 bucks.

Mr. Crabs said:
I bought a cheap 30 gallon plastic trash can from Walmart to hold mix water--salt water for water changes. BIG MISTAKE! It leached a horrible plasticy smell into the water. I skimped, and paid for it....:rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a good container or brand to hold saltwater mix that is 30 gallons or more and won't leach anything into the water?

Recommendations are appreciated :)

I use a 30 gallon and a 50 gallon containers.I got them a farm supply store.They receive feed in them and clean and sell the containers cheap when they are empty.The best part is they are commercial grade and you don't have to worry about them leaking later.

Back
Top Bottom